Breastfeeding a sick 3 wk old!

Harry is 3 weeks old today and has been sick the past few days, the doctor diagnosed him this morning with bronchiolitis. He is nursing a little bit at a time, but is really fussy and uncomfortable as obviously it is difficult to breathe and nurse at the same time. I have been using saline drops and they help somewhat, but not completley. I am keeping him as upright as i can while nursing, and prop him up a little when he is asleep. I have wet towels on my radiators...im trying so much! He is still having wet nappies so is not dehydrated (yet) but im really worried as he seems so poorly. Is there anything more i can do for him? Any suggestions please? I feel so helpless, he is my fourth baby but I've never had one this young fall ill before, so feel completley lost! I just don't want him to end up in hopsital!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 4:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• :( awww...that must be so hard for the both of you.
    I'm nursing my little guy too. He's getting over a head cold that we all had.But mine is a little older than yours, he's 4 months. But he had the stuffy/runny nose and was finding it difficult to nurse and he was so very fussy. I kept suctioning him out, propping him up on a pillow when I wasn't holding him or keeping him in the baby swing in a reclining position to help drain some of the mucus.
    I just fed him more frequently because it seemed that he would get too frustrated to nurse for the normal amount of time.
    I really hope your little one gets better soon. Its so hard and sad when they don't feel well.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Breast milk in the nose is anti-bacterial on contact. It will also soothe the membranes. That might help clear him up a little more than just the saline.

We run a humidifier and take oral Vit D drops when sick. It helps. Eucalyptus oil in the humidifier also.

The sucking action helps drain the mucus so just keep offering the breast. Basically, you have to nurse your way out of this one. I'm so sorry you're going through that!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011