Do you think I am pushing my son to hard?

SO I PRINT OUT WORKSHEETS FOR MY PRESCHOOLER TO PRACTICES IS NAMES, SHAPES, ALPAHBET, & NUMBERS AND I ALSO AM TRYING TO HELP HIM TO LEARN TO READ WE DO THIS FOR ABOUT TWO HOURS PER DAY IS THAT TOO MUCH AM I PUSHING HIM TOO HARD? I JUST FEEL LIKE HE IS NOT LEARNING TO THE FULL CAPACITY AT SCHOOL WHEN I ASK WHAT HE LEARNS HE SAYS WE SONG A SONG & ATE SNACKS I AM IN A NEW SCHOOL DISTRICT AND JUST NOT USE TO THIS MY OTHER SON ATTENDED PRESCHOOL IN ANOTHER DISTRICT AND WAS LEARNING SO MUCH I JUST WANT BOTH MY SONS TO LEARN AN ABSORB AT THE FULL CAPCITY

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 5:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Starfall.com is a start! I love the "Leapster Explorer" and that helps my 3 year old with his writing and saves paper! Hahaha

We push education in our home... from Jumpstart programs we pick up on disk for each grade/age, to various other materials we buy here and there..

I think laerning should be "fun" and why I continually keep buying LeapFrog toys, they have so many to choose from! Phonic magnets on the fridge, lulu the spider, the catapillar, toy box full of their stuff
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as your son is interested in what you're teaching him, I don't see a problem with it. I would advise teaching him in little sections of time, 10-20 minutes, rather than an hour or two at a time, simply because younger children have short attention spans and become bored easily. Offer tons of praise and make it fun. To help a child learn at full capacity you need to understand how they learn, some children don't learn from worksheets as well as they would games, crafts, or even real world experience- pointing out letters at the store, on signs. Learning is a life long thing, the more you apply it at other times than drill time, the more the child will learn.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They are learning to get along with others. They are learning to be away from their homes for several hours at a time. I don't think a 3 or 4 y/o should have 2 hours of "homework" especially if they attend preschool. My daughter refused to write her name until she started school and saw all of the other children doing it. Now, she is doing great and is on track with the rest of her class. He has is whole life to learn don't push it on him so soon or may learn to hate it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• If you are so concerned with what your son may or may not be learning at school why don't you volunteer there?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011