Whats for dinner? recipe advice needed as well :)

smoked sausage with red beans and rice here.

my question is, ive never made my own red beans and rice, usually i use rice a roni"s stuff.

anyway, i have a can of red beans (cooked) and some white rice in the fridge. i am unfortunately out of tomatoes, which i know goes well with the dish. i do however have some leftover salsa, but would that make it taste weird? what things should i add to the beans and rice to make it the classic yummy dish? thanks!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think salsa would make it yummy!  Good thinking!  We're having cabbage, smoked sausage, and potatos and some cornbread on the side.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Here's my recipe: 1 medium onion, chopped; 1/2 c. green bell pepper, chopped; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 2 T. olive or canola oil; 1/3 c. fresh cilantro or parsley, minced; 3 cans of red beans, rinsed and drained; 3/4 c. water; 1/2 tsp. salt; l tsp. ground cumin; 1/4 tsp black pepper. Saute onion, pepper, garlic in the oil. Add cilantro. Stir in beans, water, salt, cumin, and pepper. Cook until desired consistency and serve over hot, cooked rice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think salsa would work fine. I make a spanish rice with salsa in it and it's very good. Here we're having baked ham, green beans and mac & cheese.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• turns out i had a can of rotel i forgot about :) but i will remember for next time!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011