My son is calling his dad by his given name

For the past couple of months my ds have been calling dh by his given name. I don't know what to do. We have tried to correct him every time he do this. He will say "Mom where Brian at?" I will say "You mean daddy? Daddy at work". And he will say "No, where Brian at." I am at a lost. I am calling dh daddy just so he want use the name Brian but it is not helping. He is only 2yrs old. Is there anything else I can try? It really irritates me I find it so disrespectful.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 5:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep calling him daddy yourself
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Our toddler went through that too. It made DH so sad. What I started to do was call DH "Daddy" as well so our son wouldn't hear Jeff so often. It helped. He started calling him Daddy again in no time.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• he doesn't know he is being disrespectful. Think about it, how confusing it is that adults go by so many names... their first name, mommy or daddy, mr or mrs so and so. Just keep correcting him and he will get it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Let him be. It's natural for a lot of kids to do this. He will outgrow it. He hears you call dad "Brian" so why can't he? At 2 he doesn't know respecful. He only knows what he sees and hears. Relax, mom. My kids and grandkids did it too. The phase doesn't last long.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Bio Dad right? I feel like you would if so... but most parenting books I've read state it is normal as a part of pushing boundries
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My 2 1/2 yr old dd does this to me when she gets mad at me. Lol I think it's a phase, and eventually he'll grow out of it. Just keep referring to dh as daddy, and he'll soon start to call him that again.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Me and hubby call each other mommy and daddy so, our 2 year will not start calling us by our first names. Just keep callin gyour hubby daddy and your child will start again.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yes he is the biological dad
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... hope he returns while still young to call him "dad" or "daddy"!!! Just hang in there and remind him he's his father and his friends/family call him by his first name?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• With me having a new baby and the weather we don't come into contact with many people right now.
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011