• In the Spotlight:

Is it bad that I dont trust men, even my childs dad?

I have been a victim of countless sexual abuse as a child and I know many friends who have aswell or know someone. I dont trust any man around my child even her dad and at times i get suspicious , Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• Hmmm, that's a tough one- not trusting her dad around her.
    I don't trust a LOT of people around my kids but never even thought such things of their dad.
    Have you had any counseling to help you with these feelings? You sure don't want to pass that along to your daughter. One day she will be a young woman and you don't want her to be afraid of men- just cautious, maybe. You will want her to have a happy and healthy relationship with a man.
    Yes, it's normal to not trust people around your kids but I think it's a little too much to not trust the dad- IF he has never given you a reason not to trust him.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I was abuses as a child so I don't like my kids being away from me. I let them but I am suspicious when I am out at the park and other places. I look to see if there are people that look that they don't belong. I to feel the I can't trust kids either. There at times are older kids at the park and it makes me uneasy. There are many kids hurting other kids. Sadly. I have never felt like I can't trust my husband but I can see how you may feel that way. It is just from being abused and maybe you just need to discuss this with a councelor. I hope this has not strain on the relationship with the dad.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• As a victim of sexual abuse from my father, I can relate to your fear of all men, including your child's father. My husband knows that I watch him super close because I'm afraid of the same thing happening to my son (after all, my mother was also a victim of sexual abuse from a family member). My husband has never given me a reason to distrust him and if he's doing something to make me uncomfortable, we talk about it. I would recommend talking to your child's father about your past and your concerns, at least then he won't see it as a surprise if you suddenly become very protective.
    LazyMistake

Answer by LazyMistake at 1:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2008