Flying

i was looking at plane tickets and was wanting to take my dd with me for a week long trip. while she is over 2 years by 3 months do you think i might be able to say she is just under 2 so she can go "in arms" and avoid having to buy another seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Travel

• Hmmm I have to say that we fly about 8-16 times a year with 3 toddlers and have never ever been asked for a birth certificate or any other proof of age. With that in mind we have always been honest as to the kids age. I am would never get over the guilt of not being honest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Most airlines require you to pay for another seat... they no longer allow you to hold a child at any age... they made a lot of changes!!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would find out if they require a birth certificate as proof of age. Sounds risky.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That's what I was wondering as well, you would think you would need a BC or something but I've never flown w/ my child so I don't know for sure, I'm sure someone will have experience in this.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• its been a few years since i last flew with my oldest and she was in arms at the time and although i did take it with they never asked for anything except my id.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• just wondering if things are different now with all the security and all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You will probably have to buy another seat, over 2 is over 2.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My dd has flown since she was an infant. Under two is free only on your lap. Over 2 requires a seat. BC is required so dont try to "get away with anything" lol GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Proof of age is required. We just flew Southwest a few weeks ago and they require proof of age prior to issuing the boarding passes. A baby flying on your lap must still have a boarding pass when going through security.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You can try, but you can only blame yourself if they ask for birth certificate as proof of her age and then don't let you on the flight. I'm sure that at an age where it's obvious they are under two, they aren't going to ask. But if the kid looks 2, they'll probably ask.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011