My son is 10 months old and strictly nursed (no bottle) and still likes to eat every 2 hours at night? During the day he will go 6 hours without nursing. Any suggestions?

lc315

Asked by lc315 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try encouraging him to nurse a little longer at each feeding during the day. Even an extra 5 or 10 minutes will go a long way. Still, he's nearing a time where he will nurse dramatically less frequently, so take heart!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He does nurse for 10 mins or so at each feeding during the day just at night I think he uses nursing as a comfort tool and I'm not sure how to "wean" him of the every 2 hour feeding only at night.
    lc315

Comment by lc315 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• as long as he is getting adequate hydration, if you want to shorten the nursing time try nursing , then a distraction like stop and "let's read a book", and just go to doing that, or a toy, or something else enjoyable for him.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 6:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'm talking about giving him an extra 5 or 10 minutes at each feeding, but if it is for comfort, there may not be much you can do about it unless you are willing to introduce a soothie. Pacifiers at this age won't confuse him about nursing and you could give it just at night to keep your milk supply going well. You could also take off the shirt you are wearing and cover him in that, so he has your smell.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thank you all for your advice. I've tried all of the above and he's just not going for it (my cute stubborn little boy). He's not much of a pacifier/soother boy and really never has been.
    I've been trying when he wakes up in the middle of the night to just rock him back to sleep and that works occasionally...

Any tips when he gets closer to a year how to start the weaning process - what works and what didn't?
    lc315

Comment by lc315 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It sounds like the night time is for comfort. You could try just holding him instead of nursing and see if that works. If you are cosleeping then just cuddle a little with him. If you are not cosleeping then a piece of your clothing that smells like you might help. It could also be teething and during the day he is otherwise occupied so it doesn't bother him as much. Maybe try some teething tablets or tylenol a night or two and see if that helps.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Hes getting to the age where he will start drinking milk. Id do your best to start introducing a sippy cup. Pump and fill and see how it goes. That way he will be slowly weaned to a cup and less dependant on you at night. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Also be sure that he is eating enough during the day. He should be on solids and they should help fill him. Have you tried water or juice? As I said, try that too in a sippy cup. If he eats enough during the day and has a bottle of juice or bm next to the bed then he should be ok. It may be more for comfort but you need to be able to distinguish the two. If it is comfort then rock him or let him get cranky and learn to soothe himself. If he is not eating much in those every two hour feedings then he doesnt need that much too eat. He may just be getting used to you being there
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• This was a very difficult time for me, I was severely sleep deprived to the point of exhaustion. My doc suggested pumping so that dh could help out. We did this and it not only helped me tremendously, but we knew exactly how much my son was getting and he began sleeping longer.
    jwpmom

Answer by jwpmom at 6:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My DD does this. She is too busy playing all day long and won't stop to nurse. She'll just have a sip and then try to crawl away and go play. She is 8 months. So she makes up for it at night by nursing all freaking night long.

We bed share and I sleep through it. I sleep with just a nursing sleep bra on and she "serves herself" so I just sleep and she nurses.

I think this is a normal part of development for the age. It won't last forever. Have you tried lying in bed with him and nursing in a dim or dark room midday? That usually helps my DD to get a real full meal in the afternoon.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011