My son is thirteen months old, and he only has two or three words that he says at all, and even those aren't "real" words (he has a sound for hungry, and he says "go" but he uses it for "play"). Is this normal?

He was also a month early and only recently started walking as well...

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 11:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even with being early, your little guy seems right on track. I teach one year olds and what you have described sounds like half of my class. They all develop at their own rate. My son was born at 35 weeks. He wasn't solidly walking until 13-14 months. He had a few words at his 1st birthday but not many.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Very normal. I have a baby who is now 3 that was a 32 weeker and a baby who is 1 that was a 28 weeker. Preemies develop at their own rate the earlier they were the longer it seems the milestones take off. Just keep working with your little one and remember that your baby was born early and has a corrected age. They do have programs you can look into for deveopment of preemies/ I believe every state has a program to offer for this. They actually have people that come to your house to see what kind of milestones the baby is making and to see if they need the extra help to make the milestones. Check out your local health department for such programs if you think you all need them. IMO it sounds as if he id doing pretty good!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• thats fine! i have a friend whos DD is 13 mo. and she will answer "moo" when you ask her what a cow says, and she says "yeah, uh-huh" all the time. i have a 12 mo old (will be in 2 wks) and he does what yours does. i have 4 kids, and they all were different when they started with their vocabulary skills, walking, getting teeth-just about EVERYTHING! i was actually suprised my friends DD could communicate the way she could! i dont think you have anything to worry about with your baby. as long as hes trying SOME form of communication, hes good! :)
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Actual this is normal for all children, full term or preemies. My son is 2 and is still not talking much, he blabbers but no real words, nor sentences. All children develope when they are ready. Just work with son, and when he is ready he will take off, and you will never be able to get a word in :)
    Jen_Norvell

Answer by Jen_Norvell at 11:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My oldest son rarely even spoke a word until he was 2 yo, but when he did, he spoke in full sentences. Perfectly normal.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Boys tend to develop speech slower than girls, and you should add however many weeks you were preterm to your expectancies. Plus we all worry that our kids are developing on track. You just proved that both you and your son are just like the rest of us!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i think its different for every kid you know they develop at different stages. my son is about to be two he was a month early. and he talks alot but we've read to him since i was preg. but my neighbors kid is about 2 and like two months and he bearly speaks a word so i guess its different for every kid.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Very normal, even without adjusting his age. If he has 10 to 20 words by 18 months (5 long months from now!), he'll be right on target.

And remember, if he makes a sound - any sound - and uses it to mean the same thing each time, then it's a word. For example, until recently, my daughter used "dee" for balloon. Why? I have no idea. But I knew what she meant so it counted as a word.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2008