Alimentum vs Nutramigen...Anyone use either of these

My son has been not sleeping, screaming, and extremely gassy and fussy the Dr started him on pepcid for reflux and then told us to try Alimentum and Nutramigen to see whick one works better. He has been on Alimentum 5 days and I do see a difference but not the "night and day" one that the Dr told me to expect. I was going to try the Nutramigen but wanted to know anyones experience with either. Thank YOu I hate seeing him miserable and I would love some sleep!

Davinsmommy33

Asked by Davinsmommy33 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We tried Nutramigen for reflux (along with zantac). She took one bottle and refused to drink anymore. I ended up using Good Start. That helped us the most.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My youngest son had to use Nutramigen. It was a blessing for us. He couldn't take any other formula and the Nutramigen worked great for us. It is VERY expensive! WIC only alotted so many cans a month (because it is pricey) and we had to pay the rest. Because of course they KNOW better than our peds and didn't believe he actually NEEDED it! But yet, he couldn't hold anything else down.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We had to use the nutramigen for my son due to his acid reflux and milk allergies. It is something we can't afford but we qualify for the WIC program so it was all taken care of. It looks awful, smells worse. But the bottom line is your peace of mind and your babies comfort. If you think it will help, there is no harm in trying it.
    paxsonsmom

Answer by paxsonsmom at 1:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I used nutramigen....and unfortunately we didn't qualify for WIC and spent all that money, but every penny was worth our baby feeling better. And luckily he only had straight nutramigen for 6 weeks. Then we slowly began to re-introduce soy. I would mix 4 cups of formula a day and make the bottles. Started by putting 1 scoop of soy in and 15 nutramigen, and progressed from there. Took about a month to ween him off. When you switch formulas it is harsh on their already sensitive systems and can cause even more gas and problems, hence the reason I mixed formulas. Now that he is close to 4 months we just started to mix a milk based formula in with the soy, to see if he is truely allergic to milk or if his system just couldn't handle it when my breasts dried up. Good luck, feel free to msg me with any further questions!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We used Alimentum with my first son after trying both Similac and Enfamil (regular, soy, lactose free...) and he was a different baby overnight. Took 6 weeks to figure it out but I wish we had discovered it sooner as he went from crying 24/7 to only crying when he was hungry or sleepy. I hated the fact that it cost so much as we don't qualify for WIC but it was TOTALLY worth the price to have a happy baby!
    drtkdcrty

Answer by drtkdcrty at 8:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008