My son is 18 almost 19 months old and only says 3 things, Mama, Dada, and Hi. Should I be concerned?

If I ask him yes or no questions he will shake his head and answer me. I try to get him to talk to me but its all baby babble. If he wants milk, I open the fridge and point to the milk and say milk over and over hoping he will say it back. He knows what things are but just wont say it. I've tried everything I could think of to get him to talk!! Help!

cms310

Asked by cms310 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just wait, one morning he will wake up, and isn't going to stop talking. I would keep talking to him, pointing at things, practicing, if he hasn't gotten better by his 2 year appointment, I'd mention something to his pediatrician.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He had his 18 month appt last month and we did not see his regular pediatrician we saw a different doctor in the practice. When I mentioned this to her she told me I needed to take him to a speech pathologist, but I don't think that is necessary right now. Hes only 1 1/2 and its not like he doesn't understand what I am saying to him. If I ask him where something is he goes and hunts for it until he finds it and brings it to me. Maybe I'm biased because I am his mother but he is a very smart little boy and I just think that maybe he's taking his time with talking. But at the same time I feel as if I should be panicking!! Ahhh!!! haha
    cms310

Comment by cms310 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My oldest son was talking very early, but didn't walk until he was 14 months old, my middle son was walking at 7 months old, but didn't talk much until he was almost 4 years old, both are adults now...both walk perfectly well, and both talk constantly!!! The younger one who didn't talk until nearly 4 years old, was on the high school speech and debate teams, and won several speech awards.

Whenever you're concerned, talk to your pediatrician, but don't worry too much, they all do things in their own time.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thanks ohwrite! Maybe it's because I'm a first time mom but I seem to panic over everything!
    cms310

Comment by cms310 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You have to understand that some children have no desire to talk. If they're getting everything they want without talking, then what's the point in talking? Some children don't actually say full sentences until they're almost three. Not because they're behind or lack an ability, but just because that's something that doesn't interest them. You have to understand that your child will speak when he is ready, not when you're ready. Your child is going to do things when they feel comfortable and feel that it's the right time to do them. Just encourage him to talk and talk to him in adult language daily. And eventually he'll talk back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• To me the babbling and understanding things is a good sign. My oldest never babbled. Not one "mamama" or "bababba." At 2.5 he had maybe 8 words. That was a significant delay, especially since testing showed that he had the understanding of a kindergartener. After 3.5 years of speech therapy no one could tell about the delay.

Keep an eye on it and call your regular pediatrician if you still have concerns.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011