Have you used sleep aides for your children?

My pediatrician has recommended one for my 4.5 year old who has a problem falling asleep naturally. Anyone ever use one?

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 6:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• MrsLeftlane, you never know the story! a 2nd opinion can be a waste of time/money sometimes if the cause is apparent. my son had a terrible allergic reaction to Singulair. His reaction was common, night terrors and hallucinations. Sadly they remained and he also had anxiety about falling asleep, being too young to understand the Singulair was out of his bloodstream and he would NOT hallucinate anymore. Benadryl was the safest route for us, as for many others. It's not like they're talking about Ambien for a 35 pound child here. Even crunchy, non circing, vax delaying organic feeding moms can need medicine for their kids.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Melatonin
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Mrsleftlane----

no offense but sometimes it is necessary! A normal routine doesn't work for every child especially special needs or in my sons case tourette's!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yes we use melatonin for my DD. She had a seizure in August which was big, bad and scary and put her in a coma for 11 days. Since they don't know what is wrong with her and sleep in very important for someone with a seizure disorder we started giving it to her. I must say after talking to the nurses and seeing how it works with her I think it is great. We usually give it ot her about a 1/2 hour before her bed time when she gets all her other medications.

MrsLeftlane, I think if you saw your son having a seizure and then being delusional and not know who you are you just might try using something. Melatonin is a natrual and I think as parents we all try to have set routines and sometimes that just doesn't work!

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My 6yo takes Clonidine and my 7 yo takes melatonin. These are both prescribed and or recommended by their doctor.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Bendadryl for about 7 months. Then it stopped working so well and pediatrician said my son had developed a tolerance to that level and we needed to double it. Then I said F this and stopped. We deal w/ his sleep issues as they arise now and he's late to school about 2x a month because I simply MUST let him sleep in.

Am highly considering trying melatonin (spelling?) in the near future. it's natural, can't hurt to try
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We have organic lavender oil that we drop in the bath sometimes.

I would use caution with Melatonin. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe. Arsenic and lead are natural. Melatonin can cause serious nightmares and lucid dreams that can frighten children and adults.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Be careful with the melatonin. It is a hormone & if taken too much, it can ihnibit the brain to make their own melatonin. All hormon replacement drugs have that risk. My friend gives it to her children every night & i keep telling her that her kids will adjust to it & eventually not make their own melatonin, which will make their sleep bahavior terrible when they are older & no longer on melatonin. Don't use it every night & use a very low dose.

It helps you fall asleep, but that is all. Children can still wake up on it & then not be able to go back to bed. They also have to go to bed right after they take it. If they do not, it could have the opposite effect if they don't get to sleep.

My Dr. said i can give her benadril only if i really need to, but it doesn't work on my DD which i hear is common in children. Benadryl works better as a sleep aid on adults.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thank you ladies! My son has a set routine and as harris4 said it does not work. This last week was a record for him as he only got about 30 hours of sleep total and why I finally broke down and took him in.
    I appreciate your knowledge hibbingmom.
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My son has been taking melatonin off and on for a couple of years. He takes it for a few weeks to get regulated then goes off for a few weeks. when he starts to get out of whack with his sleep schedule we go back on it for a few weeks. We use it as a tool not a solution.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011