Is it illegal?

I called my work this morning and told them I wouldnt be in because my dd is sick, puking, high fever all night and all morning. Now there saying its an automatic me resigning myself if I don't show up but yet the asst manager said she would figure it out this morning. My shift was 3-11. My boss called back and says we will see u Wednesday which is my next shift, but I think she is planning on letting me go. Is it illegal for your work to fire you for calling in once in 3 months when your child is sick? I mean every other job I have ever had the mgr would always cover if we couldnt get someone else to cover. This place is driving me crazy, they act as if there more important than my kids. I have thought about quitting if they dont fire me on wed. I want your honest opinion what would u do?

mama2005

Asked by mama2005 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• andria82 has a good point. Big weekend there!

I just wanted you to know I wasn't referring to you when I said that some people use kids as an excuse. I guess what I was getting at is sometimes it's really hard to figure out who is and who isn't sometimes. Maybe they are just letting you know that they don't take calling in lightly. If it's your first time, I'm sure it's fine.

I had whooping cough. I called in. My boss called me and said she wanted a doctors note. I told her I wasn't 4 years old. I showed up for work, and it was fine. Like it never happened. LOL you just never know I guess. I hated that job anyway. Ended up quitting a little while later.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• depends on the place...if you live in a right to work state, they can fire you for your hairstyle....not ethical but legal. if it's a union, maybe you should complain..if it's not, then I guess there's not much to do. I am also in Nevada (las vegas)....sounds like you work in surgery or a hospital with a 3-11 shift.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would like to think it would be illegal for them to fire you. I got "laid off" 3 weeks after I told my boss I was pregnant. She said it was because they were having "budget cuts" however they hired 3 new people after I left. If your employer does try to fire you I'm sure they will come up with some valid excuse so they don't get in trouble. I don't know what state you live in but I would google the employment laws in your state just to be sure.
    cms310

Answer by cms310 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Don't quit. Let them fire you so you can get unemployment if needed.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It could be that they think you are calling in because you were partying too much for the superbowl yesterday. A lot of managers lookdown on people who call in after a big drinking day! I had to call in sick too, my DD has a bacterial infection. Of course I went to the doctors and had medicine and proof that she was sick. So they had no problem! Good luck
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I know in WA you are allowed so many sick days for your kid....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am in NV and every job I have ever had let me have sick days i just dont get it.
    mama2005

Comment by mama2005 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have no idea what their policy is.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i think they are just not wanting YOU working there for whatever reason
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thank you cms
    mama2005

Comment by mama2005 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011