Do you remember Shakespeare?

So my son is studying Shakespeare in school - Romeo and Juliet to be exact. Which got me to thinking back to when I had to study it. I remember The Merchant of Venice (my favorite - gotta love Portia), Romeo and Juliet, The Taming of the Shrew (Kate should have stayed strong), Hamlet, and Macbeth.

In fact, the other day when a pot of water boiled over I said "Fire burn and cauldron bubble" and five minutes later actually realized that I had unconsciously quoted a line in Macbeth. Who would have thought that line would have come in handy? (Thanks Dad, for enthusiastically quoting the first act so many times that I memorized it!)

So my question is... what is your favorite Shakespeare play? What part do you like the best and why?

ItsJules

Asked by ItsJules at 7:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Entertainment

• Actually, my brother got a job as an attorney because of his extensive knowledge of Shakespeare! The person who hired him was a Shakespeare buff, and loved that my brother could identify quotes and talk shop with him.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• not sure i have a favorite, but my favorite parody was when 'Moonlighting' (remember Bruce Willis/Cybil Shepherd?) did their take on 'Taming of the Shrew'. that's my favorite episode, for sure!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As You Like It. is one of my favorites.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't live far from where Shakespeare lived and wrote his plays and I am so sick of them! Purely because I'm dragged to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre to see them all the time and whenever we take friends out from different parts of the country it's always part of our tour. However I used to think they were really beautiful - the Tempest was my favourite. I love Caliban.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It's really pathetic. I have a bachelors degree in literature and have only ever read Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Hamlet. And I think Hamlet was the only one I read in college. I memorized the "To be or Not to be" soliquey (however you spell that) in highschool, but I don't remember much of it anymore. I did have to read Chaucer in the original Old English, but otherwise I'm really surprised by how many of the great classics I never had to read. I've read plenty of modern crap and several for more than one class. And lots and lots of Toni Morrison, which I don't think is crap, but still, I feel like I missed something.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My favorite will always be "Romeo and Juliet" ...."Romeo, Romeo, wherfore art thou Romeo. Deny thy father and refuse thy name or if thou wilt not be but sworn my love and I'll no longer be a Capulet.." Yup I LOVE Shakespeare!!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Not a fan of Shakespeare. I only liked Julius Caesar - it was the only one I could really understand.
    Anonymous

• My BA is in English and Shakespeare was my worst class. I almost failied it. (Since it was a class counting toward my major I needed to get at least a C and that barely happned.) I just couldn't understand what was happening in any of the plays. If it wasn't written in prose I woudn't have had that problem.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks ladies, for all you wonderful comments.
    ItsJules

Comment by ItsJules (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011