Birth Classes and Birth Plans

Just curious as to what birth classes and methods you have chosen, used, liked, disliked etc. As well as what you think are essential aspects to a birth plan.

MommyMegO2011

Asked by MommyMegO2011 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Lamaze is a class that everyone doing this for the first time should attend, it tells you what to expect and train you to cope with what is coming, it was God sent when I first had my first child, and during labor.

Answer by older at 7:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• birth plans never really workout the way u think they will.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• to ME #1 was baby was to never be out of either me or my husbands site and also to not let my baby get mixed up in normal hospital routine. Ask us before doing ANYTHING, esp in the chaotic moments after birth. No immediate cord clamping, no eye ointment, delay bath and weighing, etc. My original birthplan was 3 enormous pages. It took me all 40 weeks to get it to a manageable level, lol.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• if your birth plan is important to you, like REALLY important you need to make about 100 copies. and every trimester you get one to everyone who matters. and after 30 weeks you put one in your chart/file weekly. and carry 10 copies in your purse, car, husbands car, etc. your dr should have one, as well as everyone else in his office/practice and all the labor, delivery nurses, the registration dept, the chief of staff, I even sent 2 to my insurance company. And I cc'd that I did so...... I was annoyingly aggressive but they noticed. (too bad baby got stuck as hell and I had an emergency c section! luckily I had a c-section SECTION on there)

birth classes IMO are kinda.... eh.... anything u dont know your nurses will teach you before you take baby home
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Good answers but most don't apply to me. I should have mentioned I'm doing a natural, water birth at a birth clinic this time around. I know all of the staff (under 10 total) and their goal is to actually give me the birth I want. I worked in the health care field and have seen birth plan after birth plan be sullied because hospitals expect you to be the flexible one. Which is why I've chosen to use certified nurse midwives unless there are any signs of complications.
    MommyMegO2011

Comment by MommyMegO2011 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I made one, but i never even brought my birth plan in. i just took my labor as it came. i also didnt do birthing classes
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011