My son has this new found intrest in learning Hebrew?

lol. He is six and always been interested in other languages. Usually Spanish sp over hte years we have learned new words just for fun. He is always asking me how to say one word or another in Spanish and then uses it for a few days. I think most words he forgets after a while sine we don't really use it.... any way... He has all of the sudden become interested in Hebrew. How odd is that? I have no idea where he got the idea from. Do you think it will confuse him to go from one language to another? he already counts and know the colors and a handful of words in Spanish will it throw him off to throwing other words from a third language into the mix?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, and it could be a lot of fun. He is old enough to know there are many languages and more than one way to say something. I think it's neat!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• next question. Where the heck do I find out how to say stuff! lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• lol.................google??
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• lmao! I have spent the last 10 min trying to figure out how to count to 5.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• this is entirely to complicated for me!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Google translator for basic words, but I don't know if it gives you a transliteration or not.

I speak Hebrew to some degree. I can help you with basic words. If he is interested in sentences as well, the structure is a little different than English. But the words are based on roots letters, which can make learning words easier. Like the words for scribe, writer, letter (mail type), and notebook are all based on the same 3 root letters.

You are very welcome to pm me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• So funny!!! There are translation websites so maybe go to one of those (pick a free one, of course) and put in some words to get the Hebrew translation and then make a list for your son. Maybe he will be interested in another language next week!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• if he really wants to learn, I'd contact a synagogue and ask them where he can go for classes. Considering all the kids who have to go and don't want to, I would think they would be pleased!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think that's great! I would LOVE to learn Hebrew!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That's really cool - and it's great that you are encouraging his love of learning.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011