Feeding issues.....

What is a sure way to know when my baby is well fed? I can't tell if my daughters are just hungrier than the average kids or if I'm doing something wrong. I feed my 2 month old until she seems full and then I put the bottle away but then right afterwards, she seems really frantic and she starts sucking real hard on her hand or my shirt. I then rule out anything else that might be making her irritable by changing her diaper, making sure she's not hot or cold and making sure she's not sick, tired etc, well after all that I end up getting the bottle again just to calm her down and before you know it, she's throwing up everything I fed her so clearly I'm overfeeding her..this is very frustrating and I lose a lot of sleep over this..this happened with my first daughter too. I'm having difficulty differenciating her cries..I hate to see her so unhappy and frantic. I just really need some advice on how to fix this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some nipples have more holes in them that make the formula come out faster. She could be getting too much formula and air. She fills up too quick with both and when she tries to burp, it all comes up.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Maybe you should try a slower nipple. How old is she?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Is she burping well? Mine does that sometimes if she isn't burped REALLY well and often. It makes for a LONG feeding period, but it's worth it. Then again...I have a gassy kiddo.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• She's 2 months old...what do you mean by slow nipple? What happens when the formula comes out too fast? Do you think that is what the problem is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Sometimes I do feel like she burps well and other times it takes her an hour to burp just one little burp..this stage is very frustrating, My kid was very gassy too but I switched her to Similac sensitive..thanks everyone for the advice :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I use Dr. Brown's bottle and nipple...I'm not sure about other brands, but the #1 nipples are slower for Dr. Browns. Most will say on the package if they are slower nipples. Looke on the ring of the nipple and see if it tells you what stage it is. I was using #2's to begin with and I had problems with my little girl choking on her formula because it was coming out too fast.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2008