I sued my dad for back child support at age 17. Right or wrong?

Parents were both 16 when I was born. Dad was in my life very ittle until about age 8. My mom never took him to court for child support. He went on to marry and have two kids who never knew I existed even though we lived in the same town. His phone # wasn't listed in the phone book presumably so I wouldn't ring them up and ask for dad one day. When I was 17 I urged my mom to sue him for back child support as a way to fund my college education. We won. He'll be paying monthly until I'm 40! Right or wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you did the right thing, kudos to you for making him responsible at least for your education!

Answer by older at 8:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He's your dad and he knew about you so you are only doing what is right for you. Congrats!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well he should have paid something for you regardless you are his child I guess you did the right thing. especially now that you won ;)
    He thought he was done with you I guess...lol Serves him right. You did the right thing!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    Your mom should have "sued" him for child support long ago. I guarantee if I was your father I would never speak to you again so, i hope you are happy with yourself. It is not back child support if your mother never requested it and why is he going to pay for 23 years when he was only out of your life for 9 years. He is not responsible for your college education, grow up.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• right!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't think you did anything wrong. He sould have been there for you, he should have helped your mother care for you.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• matthewscandi,
    He wasn't talking to me anyway so what did I have to lose lol?! Yes, it is back child support. His paternity was never established until we established it in court when I was 17 years old. He had to pay for the previous 17 years and whatever remained of that year until I turned 18. He may have been out of my life for nine years but he didn't pay for any of it. Child support was never established. When they were 16, they were both going to have me adopted. He signed the papers for me to get adopted but my mom changed her mind. I guess maybe the reason she didn't pursue child support was because it was her choice to keep me. But once she did decide to keep me he was in my life as a baby and they were still in a relationship. He even attended a few awkward father daughter banquets in girlscouts. It's not one lump sum which is why it's so long. Why wouldn't you talk to me?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You did the right thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• sticky issue, f chld support was never establshed then he diidnt have anything to pay. He also signed papers to give you up, He was forced into fatherhood after an agreed adoption. Really, I would have left him alone and moved on.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011