Is the Egyptian revolt running out of steam?

It appears Mubarak will remain in power.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/egypts-revolution-can-it-stay-the-distance-2207427.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Until September... however I am not believing everything the secular media says . There are people LIVING in Egypt letting family and friends know what is REALLY going on. It is rather interested and reminds me of a book I read by Frank Peretti !
    Lets just put it this way.. the students were going in peacefully.. it was when they moved on another group came in and they were plants to make the thing bigger than it really needed to be and they were the ones becoming violent.. it was a huge set up.. not by the students.. the groups just took advantage of the opportunity to wreck havoc. It will blow your mind!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• This is turning out to be very interesting...

And as we were watching what was happening in Egypt, the TSA became unionized; (yay, not!)

http://www.redstate.com/laborunionreport/2011/02/04/tsa-director-decides-unions-get-right-to-bargain-take-dues-from-airport-gropers/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/us/05unionize.html?_r=2

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What a shame that you think the people of Egypt deserve a dictator

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:01 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

And here comes the spin.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• How dumb Sweet. Everyone knows no one "deserves" a dictator. I think it's best for him to stay till they can get free and fair elections set up. Facts are they had every right to protest. Everyone has their own idea of how it turned violent but I'm not concerned about the reasons. These people wanted Mubarak out and that's why they gathered.They had no plans to just walk away and anything could have set off violence at any time. I didn't hear any of them with a good candidate to replace Mubarak so how is running him off on a dime going to help things? They accomplished what they wanted and he will not run again. His cabinet is gone and they are making concession and still talking. Believe me that's more than anyone here could have done in that short of a time. Now the people need to be able to put forward their choices and be able to vote on them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think it's best for him to stay till they can get free and fair elections set up.
    _____________________________
    The problem is that he has NEVER had a free and fair election. The people know that if Mubarack and his supporters are not gone, there WILL be reprisals against the protesters. You do not seem to realize they are risking everything here...their jobs, their families, their life. What's to stop Mubarack from taking control again? Sending his security forces into people's homes and jobs, arresting people (who are then never heard from again), scaring employers into firing people? Putting business owners out of business with one flourish of the pen. This is what has been happening for the past 30 years....if Mubarack was going to be fair about things he would have stepped down already. People were originally open to leaving the VP in power. This is escalating because Mubarack will NOT leave.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Now the people need to be able to put forward their choices and be able to vote on them.
    ___________________
    And how will this happen? I mean really? This is not the US we are talking about. The gov controls the media, the money, everything. What makes you think they will not just stomp the dissenters down, and have another election in which the controlling party magically gets 98% of the vote again?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• And how will this happen? I mean really? This is not the US we are talking about.

Hahahah....like the US citizens REALLY have a say as to who is in office. We get to choose between 2 candidates that weren't really put there by us, only to pick one when both have the same agenda planned. Democracy Schmocracy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• How dumb Sweet. Everyone knows no one "deserves" a dictator

She told me the people of Egypt do NOT deserve a say in their government...would you like the link to the quote?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Now will YOU admit that THE PEOPLE deserve a say in what kind of government they get?

No. (answerd by Carpy)

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/729944/Agree_with_Cheneys_assessment_of_Mubarak_and_the_Egypt_situation?cat_id=&order=&next=11

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011