What are some ways to deal with a adhd 2 year old?

he is adhd and has behavioral issues I dont know what to do anymore his behavior is almost embarrassing but he is amazingly smart

JNThatcher

Asked by JNThatcher at 8:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• who diagnosed a 2 year old as having ADHD?!?!?! they should be shot
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Two years old, isn't old enough to diagnose a child with ADD. He's probably a normal two year old.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He is not ADHD, he is 2. Toddlers have little in the way of attention span in most things and tend to be extremely active. My oldest would never ever sit and watch TV and ran in circles for most of is day. My mother swore up and down that he was hyperactive. Nope, a normal, albeit speech delayed kid. He is now turning 13 and highly gifted. He still prefers to stand doing many tasks that most of us do sitting - writing, do computer research - but is great at lounging in front of the TV to watch 4 hours of football.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree with peanutsmommy, diagnosising ADHD in a two year old is irresponsible. There are other disorders I would be ok with a 2 year old being diagnosed with, but not that one. ADHD is one of the characteristics of a two year old. Most 2 year olds have a short attention span and are somewhat hyper. Was this done by your pediatrician or a developmental psychologist. I also have issues with pediatricians diagnosing ADHD. If it was a pediatrician, get another opinion.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Who diagnosed a 2 year old as ADHD? Time for a new doctor.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I disagree with the previous posts.... It would help to set schedules and have alot of structured activities...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• If you look at a chart of a TYPICAL 2 year old -- they are ADHD ... in other words having little to no atten. span is NORMAL in a 2 year old. SO are tantrums due to frustration b/c they can't clearly communicate.
    Do LOTS of activities and don't plan for any of them to go for more than 5-10 min.
    Here's a really hard one... NO T.V. (I mean it, okay maybe a max 30 min if you really need a break).
    But pretty much diagnosing ADHD in a toddler.... NO WAY!!!!
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Cut out the refined sugar from his diet. No cola, no juices, no cookies, no cereals. Watch and be amazed how this will help better than any medication out there. Also, let him go crazy at parks and in gyms. The kinetic release will help him calm.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• eh, im gonna agree with everyone else here.
    wifecombs

Answer by wifecombs at 12:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011