How ready were you when you planned for your baby?

Did you save a certain amount of money up? Did you pay off most of your bills so your expenses would be less? Did you wait until you and DH had good paying jobs? What was your criteria for "being ready" for having a baby? Did you have to own your own home? I am just curious what everyone thinks is "ready". I have seen a lot of posts where people say, "If you are financially ready to have a child, go for it." Obviously this isn't for "oops" babies, but ones that are planned. If it wasn't money did you wait a certain amount of time before having a child? Was it just an emotional "I am ready" and you went for it?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 8:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I wanted to be ready, and what ready meant for me was to be in a steady job that I didn't have to worry about loosing or quitting bcuz I didn't like it. I wanted good health insurance, low debt, out of school, and our age was a factor. My dh wanted to be married at least a year. Being ready can have a lot of meaning. I was already mentally ready to have kids but I wanted to be in a specific spot in my over all life before taking that step.

When we finally said we were ready it was quite emotional but ours was planned out and we were lucky God played into our plan. In my heart I hoped it wouldn't take long trying and with my dh work I wanted my kids born during the winter months. My first I wanted a boy as well as my second and so far I have gotten everything I have wanted. I am crossing my fingers this baby is a girl. We will see in May!!

Good luck to you on what ever you decided!! You will know when you are ready!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• For us, it meant that we had our own home, had been married for awhile, both had jobs, and had plenty of money in the bank.
    We had been married 5 years, I had been working for 6 years, DH was about to start his career as a teacher. We owned our own home, had very little debt, and had plenty in the bank. DH and I got along great and had done a lot of things together as a couple...we just wanted to add to our family.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• LOL!!!! PLAN??? What plan? My DH and I had been married for 4 years. We owned a house. He is in the military and at the time I was a retail manager. But we were still not "planning" on having a baby for two or three more years. We got married very young and felt we had plenty of time. Plus he was getting ready to deploy in a few months when we found out. We didn't have money saved for a baby.. luckily we both had jobs so we started saving once we knew. I had to decided if I wanted to keep my job or be a SAHM. My husband missed the birth and most of my pregnancy because he was in Afganistan!! We had to sell his two door car and get something 4 door. All things we NEVER gave any thought about until the two pink lines showed up!

I wouldn't change a THING! So don't worry too much over when the right time is. If you are always planning life WILL spoil your plans!! :)
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i just asked this question :)

Are you wanting a baby soon?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• first one was a surprise, second was semi planned in the sense that we stopped contraception. wheni found out i was pregnant again i got freaked out and excited all at the same time (i still felt like a child even after my first. i had confidence issues sorta). i've always been a sahm and hubby has a good paying job, we were settled and living on our own, so we were ready.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i want another baby so badly. :) me and my SO are doing great right now financially, stable etc. we arent married, but weve been together for 5 years, when he says he is ready, i think wed like to start trying. im just so anxious :D
    Anonymous

• Lol, sorry I didn't see your question. No, I am single and going back to college. I am a little baby crazy lately, but I am not stupid enough to put myself through that right now. I really was just curious. A friend of mine was talking about being ready to have a baby today and I asked her what she meant by "ready". Thought I would try to get some other opinions as well. I might look at having a baby when I get done with school, we will just have to see.
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Good luck Anon!!!
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011