How would you answer this?

DS got one of those World Almanac/Fact Book for Kids things from the book fair, and was reading a section that talked about the Nobel prizes. He asked me what he'd have to do when he grew up to win a Nobel Peace Prize. I managed not to laugh, and gave him a general idea, but it does seem the criteria really has changed over the past several years, not just that one special year a few years ago. How would you explain the criteria?

The first 5 winners:

Jean Henry Dunant Switzerland "[for] his role in founding the International Committee of the Red Cross"

Frédéric Passy France "[for] being one of the main founders of the Inter-Parliamentary Union and also the main organizer of the first Universal Peace Congress."

Élie Ducommun Switzerland "Honorary Secretary, Permanent International Peace Bureau"

Charles Albert Gobat Switzerland "Secretary General, Inter-Parliamentary Union; Honorary Secretary, Permanent International Peace Bureau"

William Randal Cremer United Kingdom "Member, British Parliament; Secretary, International Arbitration League"

The last 5 winners:

Muhammad Yunus     Bangladesh     "for advancing economic and social opportunities for the poor, especially women, through their pioneering microcredit work"
    Grameen Bank
    Bangladesh  (yes, I am familar with the program - it still amounts to saddling people with long term credit agreements)

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change     Switzerland     "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"
    Al Gore     United States

Martti Ahtisaari     Finland     "for his important efforts, on several continents and over more than three decades, to resolve international conflicts"

Barack Obama     United States     "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." (awarded before he actually did anything, how well is he really doing at strengthining that international diplomacy yet?  Or is that still Bush's fault?)

Liu Xiaobo     China     "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China"

Only 2 of the past 5 are remotely similar to the type of efforts they expected when they first handed it out.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end…
    In the past, The Nobel Peace Prize was regarded with respect and integrity but I just don't think that's the case anymore...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

In the past, The Nobel Peace Prize was regarded with respect and integrity but I just don't think that's the case anymore.

how al gore or obama got on that damn list is beyond my comprehension....
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Hahaha... I was going to give the sameresponse but didn't want to come off too negative! Than read responses and had to laugh!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well, if it were my DS, I would tell him that he didn't actually have to DO something, but he would have to talk a lot about doing something big and it's got to sound like it will help people that are struggling.

I guess that's the good news, is that you don't actually have to accomplish anything anymore, you just have to have a really big plan (with no way to implement it).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• LOL I'm trying to nudge him more towards one of the other categories - the rules are clearer, and maybe he'll get lucky that way and win both. Anything goes for the Peace prize.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Jimmy Carter was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize some years ago. While I don't think I would have objected because of his work with Habitat for Humanity, I DO have a problem with when he got it--because it was right after GWB went into office, and it was widely stated that he was awared the prize as a "Screw you" to GWB.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well it's pretty simple then...to win a peace prize, one must be a) liberal b) a scheister c) wealthy and well known and d) give the all important and un-thought-out answer "World peace" when the pageant director asks you what EVER he or she asks you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The Nobel Peace Prize has become a leftist/progressive agenda promoting tool. It isn't worth a pile of dog shit now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Because it has been awarded to Liberals doesn't make it "a pile of dog shit". It may simply mean that no Conservative has done anything to promote peace. Waging war against a country under false premises doesn't quite qualify as a "peaceful endeavor". The only issue you have with the Nobel Peace Prize is that a few of the winners represent a party that you loathe. Otherwise, you might not have such a disdain for the award.  But go ahead, crap on the Liberal winners, if it makes you feel better.  I doubt attitudes like that would make you a winner, either.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The only issue you have with the Nobel Peace Prize is that a few of the winners represent a party that you loathe.

Al Gore got it based on lies
    Obama got it on empty campaign promises.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011