Quick & Easy Dinner

Hubby&I are active duty Soldiers with a 3mo daughter. We only have 3hrs between when we get home and when we need to be in bed during the week. Do you ladies have any suggestions for a quick&easy (but still yummy&healthy) meal? What are your favorites? We were also thinking about buying a slow cooker. Do any of you have experience with that?

BrookeKRod

Asked by BrookeKRod at 9:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• * 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
    * 4 medium (about 1 1/4 pounds) skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
    * 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
    * 1 medium shallot, minced
    * 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
    * 1/2 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
    * 3 tablespoon(s) seedless raspberry jam
    * 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar

Directions

1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper; cook 8 minutes. Turn chicken over. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 8 minutes longer or until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with tip of knife. Transfer chicken to plate.
    2. In same skillet, cook shallot 2 minutes, stirring often. In cup, mix broth and cornstarch. Add broth mixture, jam, and vinegar to skillet; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Cook sauce 2 minutes or until slightly th
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I make what I call my 'pot luck cassarole' - since I made it up for a pot luck, and when I take it somewhere the pan is always empty.

Cook about 1/2 bag off egg noodles, until mostly done, then add 2 cans of tuna and 2 small cans of mushroom soup.
    mix it up, then put cheddar cheese on the top, then put in the oven at about 350. when the cheese is browned to your liking, take it out.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Ramen noodles in different flavors can be added to cooked chicken, beef, shrimp.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I feel your pain! On my work days, we have 1 hour between time we get home and bedtime for kiddos. I just started using allrecipes.com for great easy recipes. I love it because the recipes are all rated by home cooks. A few of my favs are:
    Slow Cooker Pork BBQ
    Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
    Honey Chicken Stir Fry
    Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

Let me know if you want recipes! Good luck, I know it is so hard
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Cook sauce(Apricot,Strawberry jelly are really good too) 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring. Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Sorry it got cut off also if you have a crock pot they are great you can set it up in the morning and have dinner ready when you get home. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Put Tilapia fillets on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Then rub a little olive oil on each fillet, sprinkle with some salt, some pepper and squeeze a lemon over it. Throw it under the broiler for 8-10 minutes.

You can add mac and cheese from the box, or a refrigerated pasta with a prepared sauce

Add a green vegetable like broccoli or asparagus, or green salad from a bag.

Easy clean up from the fish, just toss the foil!

Second favorite fast recipe:

Brown hamburger meat in a skillet. Add 1/2 chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped finely celery with the leaves, half a green pepper chopped finely, 2 carrots finely chopped and 1 garlic clove chopped, or use the prepared minced garlic from the jar.

Add 3/4 cup ketchup, 1tsp. yellow mustard, 3 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce and bring it to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.

Serve on buns with chips and a green salad from a bag.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yay! thank you!!
    BrookeKRod

Comment by BrookeKRod (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• A crockpot will be your best friend. My husband was on Active Duty for 30 yrs. I worked full time too. Crockpots save time and save money. You can buy cheap cuts of meat that will be tender after long slow cooking. Stews, sous, cassaroles, BBQ all kinds of things.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Crock pots are the best. So many choices but i always want the insert to be removable.
    Cooking on the weekend and freezing is also time saving.
    Spaghetti sauce, chili, chicken breasts, meatballs, turkey breast.
    Have lots of recipes if you need them.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 3:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• slow cooker would solve your problem and Reynold's makes slow cooker bags so that clean up is easy, you can just take out the bag an if there are leftovers put in another bowl and pot is ready for new recipe. I swear by beans in the crock pot, you dont even have to soak them!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011