When it comes to being a mother- What comes first, YOUR health and welbeing, or BABIES health and welbeing--

I found this one to be a tuffy- If Im not mentally where I need to be, I can't take care of my son, if Im not doing what I need to be doing career wise, I wont be able to provide for my son like I want-
my head is telling me to do whats best for me, and if Im doing ok, my son will do ok also, and Ill be more equipt to take care of him, but my heart screams Im wrong, and to do whats 100% best for my son- even if that means my mental health, or school and stuff go on hold.
gahh-
Its so hard.
Im not even sure what Im trying to say exactly?
how do u feel about it/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it is a balance. There are some things that you do because they are best for your child, but some things you have to do for yourself as well. What is best for one family isn't always best for another. Don't put your life on hold just for your child. You are right that you need to be doing well to be able to be there for your child.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My health and well being. If I cannot properly take care of my child, that is neglectful and I will not let my child be neglected. So therefore, I have to put myself first regarding this question.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• babies
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 9:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You cannot neglect your health and well being. If you do, then you will not be able to attend to your child properly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ~*THEM*~.. I always place the needs of my kids above my own! I couldn't imagine if I were selfish in thinking about myself, I guess I am a mom to the core of my being?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• If it is mentally, I would have to take care of myself first. If I wasn't mentally there, I would be mortified if something was to happen to my son on the account of my mental health. It really is a balance. You have to do what is best to take care of your children, even if that means someone else needs to watch them until you are better.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 9:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree that you must take car of yourself to be able to take care of your baby. Its a balancing act.
    s_harden

Answer by s_harden at 9:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My daughter is always first, in all ways. If the best for her, is for me to think about myself for a moment, so i ca better take care if her, I'll do it. But the bottom line is, i always put DD first.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I understand that my kids needs come first to mine any day..but we're also talking which needs..and if those needs in someway take away from my sons..

would I trade school to be with my kids if they needed me? Yes..would I trade taking care of my mental state (I am bipolar and have to see a therapist every week or two) to spend an extra hour a week with my chidlren? No.

its about balance..You really NEED to Take Care of Yourself FIRST..Before You can be a good mother and take care of your children. If You can't meet ur basic needs how in the hell are you going to provide for someone else? thats how I see it
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• @mamaclark-
    So lets say you have Cancer, and you need to be at the hospital every other day for apts and Chemo, but that means your kids have to be shoved in a day care everyday because your a single mother and can't watch your kids while recieving treatment- that women is a bad mom because she has to do everything in her power to stay healthy and not die, and leave her children with an edlerly grandparent, or friend?
    Ohh, but thats not selfish, because its in the best intrest of the child at that point.
    But lets say that same single women that Is in college, trying to make somthing of her self, so she can give her kids more than she had and is stressed over trying to do what she feels will be best in the long run that she also has mental health issues and needs too see psychologists and psychitrists to help balance out her life so that she can be a better Mom and student and person is a BAD mom and SELFISH?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011