What age did you start letting your kids pick out there own clothes?

what age did you start letting your kids pick out there own clothes?

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 9:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son will be three in may and I let him pick his clothes sometimes as long as it is warm enough.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• my kids are 6 & 4.5 and they really love to..... I give choices almost always but on weekends, etc I will let them choose whatever. I am re-doing clothing drawers right now so they know going sledding means no fancy clothes, ditto for painting in that white dress shirt for easter. lol
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as it's appropraite for the situation (weather, ocassion, etc) my SD is allowed to pick out or help pick out her outfit.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 9:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When they start to talk and express what they like... Now I would allow them to look horribly bad and would steer them towards better decisions... but in the end they have to wear it! So, if he thinks Star Wars is cool, I'm stuck having those kinds of clothes, and as long as it covers them properly, and they don't look too bad... doesn't really matter, they grow fast, tastes change just as fast, and in a couple months it'll be something new?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• DS has helped pick out his clothes since he was old enough to express an opinion on what he liked. In his case that was around 2 when he would tell me he didn't like a certain shirt and would pick a different one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I normally give my 4 y/o 2 choices of what to pick to wear
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We've always given them input into what they wear... my oldest has sensory issues so it was imperative that he have input into his clothes, because if it was in any way uncomfortable for him, he was not going to wear it! I try to steer them towards outfits that actually match, and they need to be appropriate to the weather, but beyond that they can choose what they want. The only exception is pictures... I get final say on pictures, but that's only once a year at Christmas!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• your supposed to let them pick out what they want to wear? hmmm if I did that my 22 yr old would walk out of the house in the dead of winter with shorts on...lol..oh right he DOES that NOW!!! Seriously, when ever they start wanting to unless they pick out something embarassing and we are going somewhere. My daughter has spent days in different tutus and fairyy wings, where my middle child would wear his Spiderman Halloween costume everyday if I let him, and if we are staying home, why not?
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Not until they were 5 - which was really late, but my oldest was special needs so I had to do his and it was honestly just easier to lay out clothes for all 3 of them when I was doing it. They didn't show any real preference for clothes until at least 4th grade, which was nice! I miss the days when they would just put on whatever I wanted them to!
    I do still set limits for them though - no shorts unless the high is going to be above 70 degrees and if the high is lower than 60 they have to wear a long sleeve shirt. Otherwise my 5th grader would wear shorts and a tshirt everyday!

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• 2, I guess...whenever they started dressing themselves. As long as it's appropriate for the weather I really don't care. You should see the outfits my 4yo comes up with.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011