How to get a 10 yr old to believe in himself?

My oldest son is having some self confidence issues that are causing him problems in school. He does not think that he can do the right things in school, or do well, so he does not do well. He does not turn assignments in on time, if he turns them in at all, or if he even does the assignment. He lies about having done his homework, or having homework. Today, his step dad and I had a talk with him, and I told him that if things do not change, then he will have to repeat the 4th grade. He has such a lack of responsibility. I am trying to get him to understand that I will not be there for him every second of every day to tell him what to do and when to do it. Any ideas?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 10:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• What are his strengths? Remind him of those, compliment him here and there (nothing too corny or seem forced), and cheer the positives as they happen!!!

Give him responsabilties (we do chores, which are geared towards functions they have to learn at certain ages)... could be as simple as a hamster, he needs to change the cage bedding ever few days, make sure it has fresh food and water, and has time in a ball outside of the cage...

Worst case make a list and stick it on front of the fridge??? Monday pick up all your clothes to place in hamper, tuesday clean your bathroom (my kids have their own)... etc
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We also have a chore board for our little ones, they earn magnets, which are traded for money... and that goes into their savings accounts

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What about a positive motivator? If you do well, then. . . . Good luck with this.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011