Do you own or rent?

I am 40 yrs old and I am still renting...I am so ready to own my own home!!! The hubby on the other hand (who by the way is 45) is so effin nonchalant about it and it irritates me to no end! I am in the process of cleaning up my credit so that hopefully in the next 5 yrs I will be ready for home ownership.

MrsAJLaw

Asked by MrsAJLaw at 10:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I own and love it. There are extra expenses that come with being a home owner but I love not having to deal with PITA landlords and worrying if they are paying their mortgage.

kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We live in military housing overseas. I don't want to own a home while we move as much as we do. We'll probably buy a house when we go back to the States though, because my dh will be retiring from the military around that time, so we shouldn't be moving as much.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• rent, I'm divorced and can't really afford to own. Plus I'm not ready for all the upkeep and cost of repairs and appliances for my own home. I wish I could tho!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Rent. As long as my husband is in the military and we are moving every few years, it's the best option.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Rent and thrilled. We enjoy the freedom (we rent a single family home w/ a very large yard) while having the legal protection and knowing if something breaks at 4am it'll be replaced the next day and our bank acct will live thru it.

Our rent is lower because we do our own lawn mowing, shoveling, etc....... and we pay renters insurance for our things and liability of neighbors kids on our playset, etc. It's the best of both worlds to me, my DH, and our kids. I am thrilled my name is on a lease and not a mortgage.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Own. We bought our first house in 1999 when we were 20, sold it in 2005, and moved to Las Vegas. We didn't know the area at all, so we rented for a couple of years and bought this house in 2008.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Own.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• own! and we love it! we flip houses so we have had a lot of homes over the years but its really a great way to build ur credit!! the market dropped right before we could sell some of our houses so we are renting them out!! hate it!! but the amount of rent they pay, pays for the mortgage payment and some extra! so i feel bad for the people who rent houses cuz most likely u are putting a lot of money in the landlords pocket!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We rent. We just declared bankruptcy in 2009 so we couldn't buy if we wanted to. We had a hard enough time finding someone that would rent to us without a co-signer (sadly, we have the best credit in our entire family even with the bankruptcy). My husband just wants to continue renting (we have a 3bed/2bath house with garage and fenced yard right now) but I'd like to own some day so I can pain and do stuff with the house that I want. It's also kind of crowded here with 5 kids (3 girls in one room, 2 boys in the other and they are small, barely enough room for 2 beds in each). But we can't afford anything bigger.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• rent
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011