A question concerning custody? some legal knowledge would prob help.

me and my ex have a recently court ordered custody arrangement he gets every other weekend. I have been having a lot of problems (death in the family, i was really ill) causing me to need to let my son go w his father more than ordered. Do u (cont)

Logan17000

Asked by Logan17000 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• be very careful! what is written in your court papers matters only if hes not getting them as much as he should. if he takes you back to court and you set a precedent by giving him the kids more on a regular basis he will have grounds to file for more time. eventually this could possibly affect your child support later on. i think if you gave him more time every once in a great while it wouldnt be such a big deal. another big factor is if you and your ex get along. would he take you back for more time? is he vindictive?
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I've been through something close...my grandfather died...and the judge made it clear to my ex that the only thing that matters is what is writing with the court!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well, it depends on how much more you're talking about. If he's having the child a majority of the time then the judge may say he should have more rights to him since he's already providing for him more.
    But if it's just a little more I see no problem w/ that. He's a parent as well and we all need breaks sometimes for one reason or another.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Just my opinion but I would try to arrange to have other people care for the child as well. Take this time to look to others for support for your family. Not only would it help your dilemma but it would bring a less stress into what you are already dealing with now.
    f.r.e.

Answer by f.r.e. at 10:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Think letting him have extra time could backfire on me if he tries to take me back to court for more custody? the order is every other weekend and w.e. Else we can agree on so idk i jus dont wanna screw myself.
    Logan17000

Comment by Logan17000 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011