Epidural

What are the pros and cons of using epidural?

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 10:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Oh I LOVED the epidural!! That was a life saver ;o) I didn't have a problem on pushing, which they said I probably would, but I didn't :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 10:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Pros- pain relief

Cons- possible respiratory depression, possible hypotension, labor can stop progressing or slow down, confined to the bed- more at risk for blood clots in the legs. Lack of contraction reflex to push.

There are a lot of cons to everything, and possible things that can happen- I had an epi with both my labors and have no complaints really, it helped me and I look back and feel I had a good experience with both of them, which is one of the main goals- a healthy baby and good experience.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i HATED mine!! i felt so sick and threw up 3 times, the pain never went away it just switched sides!! after 2 hours of having that stupid thing i made them take it out! i was at 7cm! but every women is different! i believe they did mine wrong and i had bad side effects to it! i will never have one again!
    so no pros for me! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The epidural was the best thing i have ever done i would never have another baby with out it.I was in labor for 14 hours by my 12 hour i got the epidural and was ready to do this.Only took me an hour to push her out.The only con I had was that it took like 5 hours to start feeling my legs again.But was totally worth it.
    samanda86

Answer by samanda86 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think they are one of the best things known to mankind. I think Ashley did a great job at telling you the cons. Knowing those and having had a natural and 2 epidural births. I will have one with my next little one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Check out this link...

Other Considerations When Choosing Epidural Anesthesia

It does a fair job at explaining the pros and cons, in my opinion.

LorelNicolette

Answer by LorelNicolette at 11:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Had 1 epidural and 1 natural. First was terrible days long labor- 2nd was a 3 hour L&D. Gee, they were night and day. Couldn't have kept going with #1 without epi, and 2nd had no time!! To be totally honest- it was hard for both. I guess if I had the chance with a 3rd and the timing was right , I would get an epidural again no doubt!!! It is safe and helps alot like Caroline said!
    funnymommy71

Answer by funnymommy71 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Never had one....scared of needles. Had 6 babies naturally.
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 12:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I didn't have any side effects from having an epidural... But with this one i'm going to try something more natural, like a water birth.
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had the worst experience with my first b/c of the epidural. It slowed my labor waay down and i almost had to have a csection, then it just stopped working so i still felt every bit of labor, the dr. who did it, did it wrong and now i have back problems from nerve damage. I had my second all natural and that was the best thing. Yea i wont lie the pain was hell, but omg it was so much easier to recover b/c i was up literally right after i had her.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 10:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011