Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I'm stuck. Need help plz

So my so called husband and are in the middle of a break up. We are still living together because I have no other place to go. We have only been in this state for about 5 months and can't file for divorce until we are here for 6 months. Of course this situation has been really hard. We have had good days but mostly bad. He is very vindictive and he constantly starts arguments with me and records our fights. he tries to get me to say things so he can use it against me in court.I'm so upset with him right now. Especially after he just told me that he wasnt gonna give me my share of our income tax. I'm a sahm and have 2 kids. I wanna know if I were to call the IRS and tell them that I didn't Give him the authorization to claim my kids, what will happen to him or is it even possible for me to say anything? I feel stuck. Any advice is appreciated


Asked by Christieluv0614 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

Level 17 (3,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • If you file jointly, there's nothing you can do re: IRS. but the finance will be taken care of in the divorce court, including tax refund. My advice is get an attorney. Call around the local colleges or universities near you, often the law students (some are very good) offer pro bono services. It won't cost you a dime, but at least you get some legal advise, or be pointed to the not-for-profit organizations that can give you support. The next step is you need to start thinking about being financially independent (i.e. part time, or work from home, or get a degree/ certification - online or in community college) One tiny step at a time, you'll get there. Good luck.

    Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • whether he ends up filing with you or not, it can always be taken care of in the divorce settlement. he will have to give you your share youre entitled to in the end.

    Answer by mykidsmom86 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • If you filed jointly, you have to sign the check.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • If they are HIS kids, and he supported them... can you truly stop him from filing as supporting his kids? Not bashing or trying to start a fight... just know things are said and done out of anger far too often

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • only one child is his

    Comment by Christieluv0614 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • If you know he is picking fights with you, do your best and bite your tongue. Personally, I wouldn't want to be recorded for anything I say. He's just doing that to try to get something to use against you. Don't give him that chance.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • Wow! He has a right to file I'm pretty sure b/c the only other option would be you claiming head of household. You aren't. You don't work, support the family and pay taxes. That's his money not yours if you ask me, and the government.

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2011