In laws - how do you know you truly love them?

How do you know you are not just doing things out of obligation, but truly love them as your own family?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• It takes time to build relationships....in the beginning, it can be obligation and duty, but there is nothing wrong with that...as time goes on, and you truly become family, you can know...I wouldn't worry about it....and even if it is always obligation and not warm fuzzies, that is love too....the kind of love that is a choice....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• U know when u don't look at it as a chore and u would know if u did not have to ask this question.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Damned if I know. I can't stand mine!!!
    Anonymous

• It's hard to say, I know I love mine because for one, they've been nothing but fantastic with me and my kids. They're so kind, generous, and caring. I do whatever I can to help them out. My FIL has diabetes and I make sure he has good, healthy food to eat when him and my MIL come home from his dialysis treatments. I include my MIL in all celebrations I plan like my children's birthdays, American holidays that they don't celebrate (they're Mexican), not because I feel obliged to, but because I value her idea's and opinons. When I order stuff online to have shipped here I always see if my sister-in-laws would like something that they can't get here. I guess you kind of just know when it's love, and when it's tolerance.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My SO's parents aren't even technically my in-laws, but that's how we refer to them! I love them dearly, and I think it's something you just know. If something horrible were to happen and we broke up, I'd be not only devestated to lose him, but his family too!...that's how I know I guess..
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Mine, they treat me like I'm there own daughter. But with my ex, I just put up with them for him.
    Faith196

Answer by Faith196 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have no idea!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have no idea, or care!
    wifecombs

Answer by wifecombs at 12:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• try to think if you would be upset if something happened to them.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2011