I want drugs!!!

I am a girl with a very seriously high anxiety level. I WILL have panic attacks while in labor.

I have been on Zoloft for 8 years and am still taking it during my pregnancy. Clonazepam is a medication that I would use as needed when I felt a panic attack coming on. I cannot take this during pregnancy and thank goodness nothing major has happened so far.

I am having an epidural for labor, my question is. Will my doctor be able to give other meds to calm me down? Some seriously strong ones? If I have a panic attack I lose muscle control and won't be able to push.

I REALLY don't want a c-section.

What do you think?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think you should let your doctor know your situation and ask him what he can do.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• if you are that bad then it may be best .. cause they cant really drug you up with strong stuff i mean the baby would still be in you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Epidurals are wonderful. You can sleep through your whole labor. I don't think you'll have to have anything else. However when it comes time to push, you will feel it and you kind of have to in order to feel when to push.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 12:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i have anxiety too and i was on zoloft and i stopped taking it just stopped didnt even wing myself off of it and i was fine until not too long ago and my anxiety is back and i think about that too.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 1:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I don't have clinical anxiety, but I had a very stressful labor and delivery. (Long story). I wanted a natural birth and found hypnobirthing to help. You can still have an epidural and do hypnobirthing. It just gives you the tools to relax yourself. I slept through 6 hours of my 7 hour labor. I woke up a few times but went right back to sleep. It was great!

I wish you the best of luck! Just remember, women just like you have had wonderful experiences.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Hire a doula ;-) They are the best "drug" you can have with you!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i used to have anxiety and just told myself that it was stupid and I have kids and need to live my life. It would get to the point where I'd throw up and not be able to get these thoughts out of my head. I'm gonna live and be happy, some people can over come it if they try and tell themselves its only hurting yourself. You have soooo much to live for and need to have some fun things in ur life going on
    Anonymous