Won't take food from a spoon...

My son is 11 months old and refuses almost everything on a spoon..he loves to feed himself, but I am having trouble coming up with healthy ideas for meal time. We started with veggies and he was good then all the sudden he had decided he only likes peas(sometimes) and potatoes. He will eat fruit not stop..loves peaches and pears. Bread items are no problem either. Just want him to have a good diet and need some ideas for my little guys new independant menu!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Will he not take a spoon from you? Does he want to do it himself? If it's because he wants to do it himself, it'll be messy, but it's him learning!
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 1:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• most little quirks like this are temporary. It sounds like you offer him a variety of healthy foods. It'll all change again before you know it. Best of luck.
    paxsonsmom

Answer by paxsonsmom at 1:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You could try putting a tbsp. of brown sugar in the water when you cook his veggies. My LO likes to eat broccoli, asparagus, and carrots...just dice them up...it's worth a try. My oldest used to have days where all he wanted to eat was bread...it's just a phase, as long as you offer a variety of foods...one day your LO will start to eat them!
    bamaunicorn

Answer by bamaunicorn at 5:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My dd is 11 months old and does the same thing!! She will not take a bite from a spoon ever. She wants to feed herself all the time but she doesnt hold a spoon, she just sets it back down when I give it her, I give her pasta and she just picks it up. I think she can eat pretty much whatever we eat but she doesnt want a spoon so I have to make sure its something she can pick up and get to her mouth before is slips out of her hand.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Feed him what he wants but kepoffering other things too. Most kids go through this, my kids did for sure. My youngest went through a period where he'd only eat steamed broccolli. Now he hates it. He wants to only eat ravioli now(he's 20 months). I just buy it stuffed with good foods and he doesn't know the differance. My older kids are all great eaters now dispite being sort of picky at this age. It will pass.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2008