Work Place Bullying

Has anyone been the target of workplace bullying by which eventually you become ostrisized? There's no where to turn, it's getting so ugly that you are pressured to resign by the piercing things said, and the dark energy of "get the hell out of here, we don't want you here) even though you have a contract to fulfill from another company. This position I am in is causing financial disaster, has broken my family life (single parent household) because of the stress financially and psychologically...(continuous for 6 months solid)..., and it now feels like I have terminal cancer within the workplace. The person in charge of the office has successfully character assissinated me and so there is no one in the business to confide in that will trust my word as truth. What would you do? Would you resign?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• That's a tough one. Is there anyone above them that you can go to? Human resources, a corporate office? Like you said it's your word against the person above you so you'll need something to back up what you're saying. I wish I had a better answer but I wish you and you're family the best of luck. *Hugs*
    redsoxmom09

Answer by redsoxmom09 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am so sorry you are going through this. I can't even imagine having to deal with that kind of crap at work. Have you looked at getting another job. I wouldn't resign unless you had something else as back up. I wish I had some real advice for you. Hugs momma, keep your head up and do your job to the best of your ability.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am not any way shape or form blaming u at all, but what started it? is it because of your race, religion? Do u believe that u have no choice, but to endure a hostile workplace in order to keep your job? My DH won a law suit from 5 yrs ago for a hostile workplace, but I can't say anymore details then that cause it was part of the agreement he made with the attys.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• In the beginning I had a representative, but she has wooed him with her charm into believing in her. She is the woman in "position", not I. Everyone within the office has had their turn with her treatment, but I think mine might be the worst. I've done research and to profile her, she is considered a "serial bully"...and the workers have joined in what is called "mobbing", and I am the "target"....Bizarre! She is frightening the lengths she is going to remove me. Thank you for your listening ear. That is why I came on cafemom tonight after months away, I am in dire need of advice or anything at all. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Did u go to another person in charge at your place of employment? Someone bigger then the guy u talked to? What do u mean by the "character assissination?"
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Very good questions. It's 6am and I need to go to work real soon and face the day. I'll be back to share more details and hopefully get some pointers to consider. Real brief, I have called my superior who works in another city, and it was very helpful to a point. Somehow, communication got going between that person and the one managing my building. He became swayed by her reasonings.
    Have a nice day~ Thank you for your comments. Just having someone listen is helpful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Many times when companies have no legit reasons to fire a person, they make it very difficult for them in the hopes that they will quit instead. Sounds like this might be happening to you. Complain to your HR department. You want something on file, because you may have a difficult time finding another job if this company gives you a bad reference.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• First, try not to let them get to you. Like PP said, they are trying to make you quit, because they have no legitimate reason to fire you. Don't give them the satisfaction!
    Start a journal, for the sole purpose of documenting everything that is happening there. Names, time, day, what happened, who was around. Also, if you have your own space or office, keep a tape recorder running at all times. Like you said, your word vs theirs, but not if it's caught onn tape. Definitely complain to H.R. Dept of your company. After things happen, file the report, and keep record of who you filed with, day, time. Just document everything they do to you. Bullying is not ok, and they should know that it isn't school anymore. This is the real world, and there are legal consequences to their actions.
    Good luck! And keep your head high!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Working in a legal office the most important thing I have learned is to document everything you do... Your are working in what is considered a "Hostile Work Enviroment"... The only good sound advice to give is document your actions and CYA and document any interactions you have with anyone else.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Begin with your chain of command and let them know how you feel. Make sure you are documenting everything! Even if you don't think it will do any good to talk to the person above you, then above them, etc., you need to show that you tried to resolve any issues. Know your office policies; I'd be very surprised if workplace harrassment isn't covered in some guise. If you can prove that someone created a hostile work environment, that you told your superiors, and nothing was done (or that it got worse!), then you have a very good case should it go to court. Again, though, document everything!! Get a pocket recorder if you can and know your state's laws regarding recording another party without their knowledge.
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 9:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011