What's a smart purchase with $950?

My husband FINALLY got the school to give him some aid and his check is going to be mailed the 24th. It should be for $1,400 and once we get caught up on all our utility bills we are behind on we will have $950 cash on our hands. How can we be smart with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• The only smart purchase is always no purchase at all. Saving is the way to go! You never know what will happen in the future, and an extra $950 in that coffee can or whatnot, could be a huge lifesaver!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Save it for emergencies.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Pay your rent ahead one month....
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Put it in a high interest savings account. Most online banks have a better interest rate than brick and mortar banks. If you have the time, try a CD. I would not spend it, particularly if you do not have an emergency fund.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• if you don't have a savings, i would save it.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would save it! You never know when you will need an emergency fund for something.
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Since you said you are catching up on bills save it!!! You might be behind again. Hopefully not..or pay off high interest cards first vs small balanced cards..
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Bank it girl! Use it for future use.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm just curious..not bashing or anything, just clueless, lol....but how do you get a school to give you money? is this money that has to be paid back? I'm sorry but I was just wondering......but anyway to answer the question I guess I would just stick into savings and the account set up where the money does not get withdrawn unless there are 2 signatures....I say that because I have a husband who withdrawls out of savings all the time for his own personal welfare and it drives me nuts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Save it for your retirement

Answer by rkoloms at 5:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2011