I am gone from home 28 days where I cannot care for my plants. I attempt to water them as much as possible before I leave but this is not a solution.

I work where I am home 28 and gone 28. It is not very plant friendly but I love my plants. Any ideas on how to preserve them?

f.r.e.

Asked by f.r.e. at 12:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can buy plant water bubbles. They water your plants while you can't. Here is a link
    http://hydrobubbles.com/
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Lol not the Bulbs. These are little squishy balls you put on your plants.. They look very decorative and pretty, but hold water and release it as your plants need it.
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They dont work. I have ten of them. If the dirt gets into the tube they stop up and do not allow enough water to be released. Yeah, I thought that was my miracle cure. Now I have some beautiful blown glass to do something with.
    f.r.e.

Comment by f.r.e. (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yikes-- and nobody you trust to water them for you once in a while? If the pots are big enough you cuold get the soda botle waterer-- they're spikes that attach to the 2 liter bottles. You put it in upside down, and the water is supposed to drain as the soil gets dry. I've never tried one, so I'd recommend experimenting first so you dont' end up with spilled water and mildew everywhere!

Another option (and again, i haven't tried) is to leave the pots in a pan of water so they can wick water in as the soil gets dry.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Lol...thanks.. Might have to try something along that line. maybe getting a few feet of aquarium tubing and see if it siphons into the plant that way. By means of some two liter bottles. But I;m weary it might leak too much. So I will try that as I am home as an experiment. I have larger saucers to fill and set them in before I leave. I trusted a few people to water them before but the art of growing plants isn't loved by many people I know.
    f.r.e.

Comment by f.r.e. (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have some of those glass balls and they word for me. It says that when you go to put them in, you have to poke a hole in the dirt first, so it doesn't get clogged with dirt. have you tried that? I used the end of a wooden spoon.

What about a paying a neighbor to come in once a week to the water plants?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes but as the water gets soaked it tends to reclog the tubes. The african violets are the most difficult. The avocado plants I started are doing fine as well as the Christmas cactus. Its mainly the violets that have a hard time.
    f.r.e.

Comment by f.r.e. (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I will definitely try those squishy balls... thanks
    f.r.e.

Comment by f.r.e. (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You should look into african violet pots.

They hold water in the bottom and keep the plants moist with no work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ordered the bubbles..yay.. thank you.
    f.r.e.

Comment by f.r.e. (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011