My baby is cross eyed...

Ever since birth, my baby has been seriously cross eyed. She's 2 months old. I read somewhere that at birth, babies only have 12 eye muscles and that it takes time to staighten out but then I read that cross eyed babies are eventually gonna need surgery. Her face is very silly and cute but at the same time I'm very concerned that this could be a long term issue. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My niece had this problem. The doctor gave her an eye patch to put on her good eye to strenghten the other eye. Check with your doctor.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I don't know how much truth there is in this but I read in a fiction book once where it said one of the babies had this and the guys reply was that "all babies do that at first until their eyes grow and learn to focus better". I would ask a doctor but wouldn't be too worried quite yet. It could be fairly normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You can also take her to a Pediatric Opthamologist. Never too young to take them in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Most babies are cross-eyed when they are small. However, if you're concerned then I would talk to your doctor or get her in to see a pediatric opthamologist. They have the knowledge to figure out if your child needs help now or if she'll just outgrow it. If she does need help, it will be easier at this age than when she's older.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My dd has been seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist since she was 18 months old (she needed surgery and now needs glasses). He said most babies are slightly cross-eyed or have one lazy eye as their muscles grow but severe cross-eye is a sign of a problem. Catch it early. She ended up needed glasses and he was surprised that we never noticed her eyes crossing. As far as I know they never did or it wasn't noticeable.
    If anything they can do the tests and calm your fears.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Is your baby cross eye all the time? or just every once in awhile?
    If it is all the time..id say you will have to have some surgury, or therapy to fix it. If she just does it now ans then..it is normal for infants to have trouble focusing and go ross eyed.
    TheyAreMyLoves

Answer by TheyAreMyLoves at 10:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well I had the same fears, b/c my DH has a lazy eye as well. He is 5 months now and has grown out of it. Just keep a mental note, when it happens, what is happeneing and what eye, which direction the eye is veering towards, and most important bring it up everytime at the pedi.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I read that a lazy eye or crossed eyes are a sign that the vision is bad and so the kid/baby is overexerting one or both eyes. This can be fixed at an early age with therapy. I think they just get the kid to practice using both eyes. take her to the doc. now, you don't want her with this permanent problem.
    Anonymous

• I don't suggest surgery my dh had cross eyes as a baby and had surgery and now has horrible migraines.. but it's up to you...
    connorsmom2009

Answer by connorsmom2009 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 8, 2009