Would you use a toy that wasn't safe or age appropriate for your child just because the person who gave you the toy threatened to not buy anything for your child again

My mother in law bought my daughter a bouncer type toy that specifies that your child need to be able to support herself without help. Two weeks after we received it she asked if we were using it when we said we weren't because it wasn't yet safe she started swearing at us saying we were calling her a bad parent who doesn't know anything about raising kids (yes she is a bit scary) and said if we didn't start using it she was never buying our daughter anything ever again...enter more swear words......i guess my main question besides would any of you use the item is would you just give back the item and say it was fine if she didn't buy anything since whenever she does it comes with threats

krissii

Asked by krissii at 12:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it is not safe for your child, then screw her, who cares, i would give it back.
    wifecombs

Answer by wifecombs at 12:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i would just politely said it will get alot of use as soon as she's a bit older. and thank you.... kill em with kindness
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 12:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you have the room just store it until your daughter is old enough to use it safely, I did that with stuff that I got for my kids that they couldn't use right away. That and you need to ask yourself if it would really bother you if she didn't buy anything else. Or if you want to return it thats up to you.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree with them, it sounds like she wants to make upo an excuse not to get them anymore stuff and she saves money.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I like your style. I'd tell her I'd be happy to put it up for when she can use it but if she'd prefer to have it back you understand. What a mean old bat she is! It's all about her? I don't think so. It's about the safety of your child and if she can't respect that then she can keep her stupid inappropriate gifts!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'd tell her you WILL use it, just not yet. You're waiting until your child is old enough. As far as other gifts, she's not buying appropriate things anyway, but I'd bet you that she is just making a stupid threat.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I wanna thank everyone for answering it helps that i am not alone in thinking the safety of my child is more important than making my mother in law feel better
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• emotional black mail...let her get over it and you do what you need to do to keep your child safe.....my ex mil swore up and down her son's crib was just fine for my baby...I said "no thanks" and she got over it. If the woman does not get over your choices then fine, let her be and she is just hurting herself..
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yeah, I would throw it back in her face and say you would not be accepting any gifts from her unless they were age appropriate. Then when she says she won't be buying anything at all, just smile and say "well that solves both our problems now doesn't it?".

And yeah, don't use that bounce unless she is able to sit without support. And even at taht time, not for too long of periods. Those can be hard on babies hips.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Don't allow this person to be alone with your child, ever

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2011