Mastitis

Several nights ago my newborn slept thru the night so we skipped those night feedings. Since then my armpit became very sore but that has gone away. Now I have a pink spot on the side of my breast and my breast is very tender. I also feel very run down and flu like. anyone ever have mastitis? If so how did u overcome it?

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ooh honey you have got to get on top of this right away. I had it so bad with both children i had to have it surgically drained thats not normal what happen to me but get it taken care of quick befor it gets worse.
    Start by making sure you are empying your breast at each feed dont skip feeds. Use a warm hot pack befor you nurse on that spot to help loosen up clogged ducts. Massage that area while your nursing when in the hot shower massage that area. lots of rest and lots of fluids if you dont notice a difference in a day then call your dr you might need a antibiotic to get rid of the infection. good luck.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Hot compresses and breast massages

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nurse, nurse, nurse. It hurts SO badly when it gets closer to coming out, but keep nursing through the pain. I have had countless blocked ducts and mastitis, but have yet to get medication for it. Have the baby nurse on that side FIRST every time to work it out. You will be lopsided, but can 'fix' it after you feel better. :)

I have heard that the hardest suck is the direction the baby's chin is pointing. If you maneuver yourself around the bed and get the baby's chin in the direction of the spot, that will help too. It can make for some awkward nursing!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am sorry but you have it. Call the doctor, get an antibiotic before it gets worse
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You should definitely see your dr. You wouldn't want to let an infection go untreated.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yes i had it recently and it got so bad i had to have surgery on it and wear a tube through it for 4 weeks so it could drain, if your worried about it get to the doctor quick because there is antibiotics they can put you on so it will go away before it gets so bad you have to have surgery. Its no fun being hospitalized while you LO is at home and it hurtsss really bad to wear a tube through your boob for 4 weeks. another symptom is your breast might have a lump in it. my doctor said you need to nurse and pump to help relieve it too.
    92210love

Answer by 92210love at 2:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2011