Lol..do you give your cat a bath? Are you supposed to? I gave my two kitties a bath tonight..and they werent happy ;-p

lol...needless to say they were pretty pissed ;) But I felt like they are six months now, and they needed some cleaning. I used baby shampoo....and now they are fluffy and smell good. The water was so dirty, that just goes to show cats dont clean them selfs that well. Does anyone else bath their cat? Yes..I got three scratches. ooch! But I deserved it

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pets

• i do every once in a while if you do it to aften the water proof costing on there fur will start coming of and it is not health the best way is go to pets mart ther is a waterless shampoo for cats use that inbetween baths so that they stay clean and smelling good
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 12:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They don't require bathing but a lot of ppl bathe them(including my cat) because it cuts down on shedding and allergies. I am allergic to pet dander and have asthma. DH bathes our cat and we have a premium air filter and its like I'm not even allergic to her anymore. If you keep bathing your cats on a regular basis, they will gradually become more tolerant. My cat is mostly just freaked out by the blow dryer now. I think its the sound because cats have sensitive ears. I think most of the dirt on cats is from cat litter dust.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• frustratedI tried the blow dryer...but they were so scared, I didnt want to put them through anymore. I just kept saying.."its ok" lol, I felt like I was talking to my kids at the doctors. But I wont bath my cat often, but I felt like they were starting to stink like the urine from the box. they are both boys, and I am getting them fixed next month. One of them, went right in to the cat box about a half hour after I bathed him...let me tell you what a mess it was then. I had to wipe him down, actually scrub him down..and he did not like that one bit! and he is a mostly white cat.

bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I used to bathe my kitties yes. But before we went anywhere near that water I made sure those nails were filed down lol.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had to bathe my cat because he had his tail cut off in an accident when he was a kitten and it would get gross. I just kept up with a weekly bath after he healed up and he hated it but after a while tolerated it. I wont say he ever LIKED it, lol, but he was a good smelling kitty!! I miss him so much, I had him for 10years!!! RIP Cutter Rex !!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My husband and I have found in our experience that bathing cats who go outdoors is nearly impossible once they're fully grown. They tend to be scrappy and scratchy and are pretty much uncontrollable in the bath. Our kitties who have always been indoor only don't necessarily like the bath, but they're a lot more compliant with it. NONE of them like the blowdryer! You just have to towel them off the best you can, then let them go lick themselves dry.
    PS--I don't think it's good to use people shampoo on kitties. Try getting some natural cat shampoo at the pet store. It's better for their skin and coat. My MIL used to bathe her cat w/ people shampoo because she liked the way it smelled, and this poor cat had chronically itchy, dry skin from it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have worked in different grooming shops and we did lots of cats. Mostly Persians. If you start them when they are small they won't mind. A friend had show cats that she bathed from small kittens and they actually like it. Don't spray them with water. Fill the tub or sink with warm but not hot water and put kitty in slowly. make sure you always wear long sleeves. so what if they get wet. use gentle kitty shampoo and bath as usual. we didnt directly use blow dryers. we put the kitty n a crate and but a dryer on the cage. when they are almost dry fluff them up and finish drying. sounds like i just baked a cake lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My cat (who passed away a few years ago) at plastic regularly, so her poop would stick to her butt and tail. I had to bathe her to get it off. It was an unpleasant experience for both of us!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When I would bathe my cats I did it as a tiny kitten so they would get use to it. I didn't go well then either. I had scratches all the way up my arms. We would use team work to bath a tiny kitten, lol.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yes, you can give cats baths if not the will start to stink b/c the clean only the fur not the skin
    termit2001

Answer by termit2001 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011