How long does it take for the father to actually take in the fatherly "instincts"?

My boyfriend hes just acting like nothing news happening when we have a baby coming, im 12 weeks and its not even a big deal to him. Im reading baby books, buying baby things and always thinking about the baby hes the total opposit. Is this normal for the fathers? cause ive heard the quote a mother becomes a mother once shes pregnant and a father becomes a father once he sees his baby, but im not sure..

bebejizzy

Asked by bebejizzy at 1:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• He'll probably melt when he sees his baby! he can't really picture what it'll be like now so maybe it's hard to get worked up about something that has yet to happen. Sometimes men just take time to process? GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My husband was excited from the moment we found out, but then we had been together for nine years, and trying to get pregnant for two. I do know that the minute he saw our daughter she had him wrapped around her little finger and she hasn't let go yet? Don't worry!
    amlaity

Answer by amlaity at 1:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• it doesnt really hit them until the baby is her and sometimes not even then. You just have to get used to the fact that we are different.
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 6:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Depends on father. Sometimes I feel like I'm still waiting, youngest is 8. Lol
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my husband was the same way with our youngest. and actually, he kinda is now with the one i am pregnant with. he is better now than he was before. it does depend on the father. some men just dont want to face the reality of it so they distance themselves from it until the last possible moment. dont be worried about it. once he sees the little bundle of joy his attitude will change. have you talked to him about this? maybe talking to him about it will help ease your mind. hope this helps.
    teastin14

Answer by teastin14 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Some men just show their excitment differently. maybe it hasnt hit him yet. My SO doesnt seem excited in front of me but his friends have said that all he does is talk about the baby to them lol. I guess he doesnt want me to think he is just that crazy about it haha.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 10:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• hahah yeah his friends have told me hes excited but im like uhh wheres the excitment? lol

and no i havent talked to him a bout it but i keep hitting reaad the baby books read the baby books hahah. ah like every woman says men are just very difficult to understand i suppose! haha
    bebejizzy

Comment by bebejizzy (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011