How does everyone feel about Pageants for kids?

I would like everyone's opinion.. and please no snarkiness.

mysticlady1221

Asked by mysticlady1221 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My daughter has been in a couple pageants and we had a blast. Some of the parents are a bit nuts but much less than many of the sports nuts parents we have dealt with over the years. The worst thing I saw was a mother crying because her daughter didn't place at all. She didn't let her daughter see her cry but she was crushed and I thought how pathetic she took it so personally. In the 10 years my oldest has played sports I have seen several fights, cursing, little kids being yelled at for simply screwing up during a game and many other crazy things. So to me the pageants are not too bad at all compared to sports.

My daughter asked me if she could be in a pageant. Her friend has been in them for a while and her mother helped us get started. I am a very good seamstress and had made some of her daughters pageant dresses so I was able to my my daughters. It was fun for us so if she wants to be in more I will let her.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 10:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I also want to add there ARE many a Pageant which focuses on the talent, speaking and poise aspects over the beauty aspects... There are a growing number of circuits now which do not allow cosmetics on children and require real hair... If you're thinking of entering your child, I HIGHLY recommend these over the more traditional ones where they have 4yos with a spray tan. I have a friend who was Miss Pennsylvania years ago, her daughters do pageants, and she would be the first to tell you - stay clear of the more "traditional" ones and go for the natural ones...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I really have to know the age of the child. I'm not a fan. Even though Sabrina lists good aspects, the focus is on the beauty which isn't attainable for everyone. Your head is in the clouds if you think it's not about being "pretty." Is that what you wanna preach to kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If they are being done because the child enjoys them - Go for it. Because they are in fact a benefit in more than one way. They help with confidence, public speaking, and other aspects which can be useful to them down the road. However, they they are being done just so mom can live out her dreams through her child, I think therapy is a better option!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think it way overboard and 99.9% of the girls in the pageants turn out to be divas, spoiled, snotty, self-centered and too competitive. I also think 99.9% of the moms are in it because they want to boost their own self-esteem. Last, I can't help but wonder if there are pedophiles lurking at these competitions. No way would I want my daughter in that.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• honestly I think the beauty contests for little girls is not only dumb, but is only spelling out problems for her in the future. She'll think beauty is all important and turn very vain or feel pressure to always look good which could create Depression later.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Pageants teach children to focus on the wrong things. Even if they aren't wearing makeup and wigs, they are still being taught that beauty is the most important thing. If it's truly focusing on "talent" then it's not a pageant, it's a talent competition. That is something else entirely. If it's a pageant that supposedly focuses on talent, then let's just see if the less attractive girls win over the MORE attractive ones. Call a spade a spade.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I honestly thought they would be fun..you know...have your little girls get all dressed up and curl her hair and let her walk on a stage waving...but then after seeing what they are really like...all that hairspray and painted on makeup and sometimes "sexy" dresses!!..I was like WHOA...I didnt know thats what it was like :( kinda sad really..I think a childs natural beauty would and should be enough for those pageants. Maybe a little lipgloss..but wow..yeah..thats all I got to say,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think they are horrible and teach kids to focus on the wrong things.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think its teaching the child to consider their self worth in how they look. Personally I am against them for little kids. Kids should be kids, not wear makeup and over the top clothes to impress judges how pretty they are.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011