For MoMs of teens. Be honest, would you slap your kid if they came out their mouth to you in a foul way. Or how would you handle it? Take things away? If that doesnt work...what then?

I know a lot of questions have been asked before about do you spank or not..but lets see what you think about teens and the way they may talk to you. Personally, I will get right in you face...even if I have to stand on my tipy toes...and it usually starts off with "let me tell you something boy". Ya lol..thats what I usually start off with. He then knows not to say a word...if I do hear a word, rolling eyes, a sucking of the teeth...I will then say " you better keep that mouth quiet until you hear me out". I do this and it usually works. I have also tried the whole "taking things away" thing. That doesnt work, because he doesnt care for some reason. My son is thirteen...he isnt a bad kid, he just tries to push his limits. He has never cussed at me...because I think he knows I would get up and put that to a stop right away...but he has tried to raise his voice to me, or say things under his breath. I feel like spanking is not a bad thing, but it also isnt a good thing. Im on the fence about it. I feel you can do other things just with words to show them who runs the house. These teens now a days need to be put in check and realize who the mother is, and who the child is. I would have had my butt whooped when I was younger if I ever came out my mouth to my mom. And I respect her, and still would not cuss at her. However, I do feel that there is a difference between smacking your child, and beating on them. What do you guys think? And this isnt a thread to bash..If you do...you will be reported. ;)

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i agree....
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My rule is "Say something dirty, scrub something dirty".....like a toilet, a bathtub, a floor....whatever it takes. I call it 'Mom's Dirty Word Rule'. It applies to any words on my dirty word list...not limited to the 4 letter kind, "I hate you", "You're stupid", and "You're ugly" or up there at the top of my list. I have 3 boys, now ages 19, 21 & 28. It was a great rule at our house. I figured I either had really polite kids, or a really clean house.....I had really polite kids!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• lol!! works for me!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think that you raise your kids right from day one and treat them with respect and they wont have a reason to even attempt to disrespect you.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Let me start out by saying my oldest son is 25 and an amazing young man. When he was 13 he came home from school DEMANDING I take him to the mall, which is approx. 45 mins away and during rush hour traffic, I told him no that we could go on the weekend. He got so angry at me, started yelling and raised his fist at me! I jumped off the couch, slammed him against the front door and said, if you EVER, raise your fist at me again it will be the last time you'll see it, do you understand! I'm 5'4 and he was almost 6' at the time. He never back talked me again. He and I have had an awesome relationship ever since, and that was 12yrs ago. lol They do get trying at that age but hang in there, I promise he will grow up and be that loving son again. GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• As the Mom of grown boys 28 and 24 i can tell you they can be so obnoxious esp 13-17yr olds. My oldest wasn't the isue...but oh my youngest. He tried the get up in my face ONCE. What he didn't know was Dad was coming home early that day. My husband walked in and saw my son up in my face with a fist at his side.. I never had time to react. The next thing I knew my husband had him up against a wall and told him that was NEVER going to happen again or he would be finding himself part of youth authority. He said plenty, but he never got in my face again. I love when Mom moms of small kids say "if you treat them right they will be resptful "..Yeah? Talk to me AFTER you've dealt with hormonal teens. As hard as you think it will be, you wind up wishing it was that easy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would never want my child to think that hitting can solve a problem

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I handled the discipline, except for the issues of disrespect to Mom, up until they were almost teens. Instances of disrespect were twice punishable offences in that I handled them as best I could, but when Daddy got home, those were reported to him and the children had to answer to him for disrespecting Mom. None of them enjoyed dealing with Daddy. By the time they were into their teens, there were very few instances of disrespect, but Dad was the man in charge. Our children are now 40, 37, and 33, and they all adore their father. Discipline is a very good thing, and yes, our children were spanked.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My kids really didn't try the cursing. But it helps that WE don't curse in the house. But when they did try it, middle school years, they had to scrub the toilets and pay into our swear jar. Losing the money was a biggie for them.

I have never slapped a child in the face, that is a knee jerk reaction and one of the worst that you can react with.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Im a single mom with two teen boys, so I have to be the parent time 2...so I have to step it up, and think of new ways to nip it in the butt. I will never allow my kids to come out their mouth to me. They may try, but I dont care how big you are...if you ever in your life raise your fist to me or call me a bitch or anything else, you will be handled. And let the cops take me aways, because I do everything for them, raise them on my own...and that would be the ultimate betrayal to do something like that to me. So before it gets to that, I always get right up in their face and let them know they will respect me in my home!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011