In your opinion, is it ok for caucasions to follow the native american religion?

I am caucasion, no native american blood. I thought I was native american when I was little because the Lenape tribe is big in my hometown and there were always pow wows and I was raised near the Appalachian trail so I was always outdoors. I always considered nature "god-like", hence my beliefs. I don't call myself "native american" obviously because I am not. But is it ok to say I follow their religion or "stem my beliefs" off the religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are free to believe whatever you want to believe. God gave us all free will.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes it is fine! That's great!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My husband is Ojibway...I'm caucasian...religion never made sense to me when i was a kid...through my eyes back then I believed in someone I liked to call the Creator, but didn't really know who that was...I talked to the trees and the grass in a spiritual manner and believed in mother nature whole heartedly....I grew up with these self-made beliefs and faith and never spoke of them because i thought people would think I was crazy. Then in my early 30s I meet this man who talks about all the things I put my faith into and fall in love with him...He's taught me so much about his ways which was more like simply enhancing my own...I already had 3 children with my first husband....they are caucasian too...but they are learning his beliefs and spiritualism...and I am learning more too....It all just clicks with me !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 2:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It's a religion, so if this is what you believe to be true about the universe then yes you have a right to follow it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I know why you ask...I have read somewhere that some Native Americans feel that white people have no right to "steal" their religion....I understand the sensitivity given our history, but I believe the Creator is for all and that one cannot "steal" a religion....when in the same region, religions and cultures overlap naturally and that is good, imo....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't think it's stealing, it's sharing. Your beliefs happen to align with their beliefs. There is something within you that connects to their way of thinking. I know, because I am the same exact way. Ever since I was little I felt connected to the Earth and trees and grass. When I began learning about the Native Americans, I felt as if I was "one fo them" only b/c my beliefs were so closely tied to their way of life, and their beliefs.

I want to honor them, not steal from them. I want to learn from them,and continue to grow within my own beliefs as they would. I greatly respect Native Americans and would never want to have them feel someone like me or you were doing anything to harm them.

Your beliefs are who you are....not stolen, not borrowed, simply in-line with a culture of people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you're drawn to it, you're drawn to it. It's not anybody else's place to tell you no unless they've suddenly obtained some superhuman powers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Of course you can. There is no valid reason you can't.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There is no way to follow an Individual tribe's native religion without being an accepted member of the tribe. That being so, the cultural stealing is more about people who offer ceremonies claiming to be from a particular tribe or was taught to them by a particular tribe and money often exchanges hands. You can follow a nature centred belief system incorporating what you know about NA beliefs but it will be uniquely your own. But I would not claim those beliefs as NA spirituality, but NA influenced spirituality but uniquely yours.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• In my opinion, you can if you are drawn to it. No one OWNS religion or the ideas, symbols, figures of specific religions. People embrace new ideas and religions change. No one can say you can't follow the path you choose or believe in certain ideas, even if they can say only certain people are allowed in a particular group.

I posted a CM question a couple months ago related to the blog below, asking who owns the stuff of religion? My conclusion was that no one does, and people have always shared and borrowed ideas from one another.

CNN Belief Blog
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011