Water birth.

What are your opinions on a water birth? I don't want this to turn into a debate or get heated. Strong opinions are fine but if what you have to say is rude, please keep it to yourself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My opinion is that it's a wonderful way to relieve labor pain, to provide buoyancy (another relief, lol), ease to move and change positions (facilitating baby's descent), keep the perineum supple, etc...

But my favorite might be the Privacy it provides. I love that no one can walk right up to your business. They really have to ask permission to do anything and this seems to cut down on the extraneous, unnecessary intervening. (Also adding to the safety factor!)

My babies have been birthed underwater.
    'Land birth' is truly odd to me, lol.

;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• As lobg as you have ppl assisting you during the birth that know what they are doing then I see no problem with it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My sister and my cousin both used the "LaBoyer" method. I was present at the last one for my cousin. She was much more comfortable and the baby seemed to be 'unstressed'(if that's a word). Her doula was excellent. Her husband was in the tub with her. She leaned back against him. The other thing I later learned from her doula was she rarely, if ever has a woman tear because the water keeps the skin supple. If I were still having kids I would def. give it a try.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ShanAtoZ,

Actually the baby does not attempt to breathe until exposed to air, and does not need to breathe till after the cord has stopped pulsating. There are many indigenous cultures that have used water birthing for thousands of years. Even some that traditionally birth in warm water pools by the sea or even in the sea. As far as excrement, I have actually never had that happen in all five labors. I think this is not too common in naturally occurring births as most woman's bodies go through a natural cleansing process prior to the onset of labor to empty the bowls in order to provide more room for the descending baby. I think it happens more in forced labors as the body does not get the opportunity to really go through "pre labor".
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• whats the point of it like does it relieve pain it sounds cool.
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 2:03 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I've heard it not only naturally relieves pain, it can speed the labor process and is the best transition for baby from womb to world.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think its a good idea and plan on doing it myself!
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 2:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Apparently I'm going to go against everyone that has replied because I think it is freaking weird. I am a human that lives on dry land not a whale living in water (though I may feel that way). The most natural way is to give birth the way every other mammal on dry land does. Besides, I wouldn't want my baby to come down the birth canal, try to breathe, and breathe in water. Water is not amniotic fluid.
    Also, what happens when you are pushing and excrement comes out? Then its in the water that your new born baby is going to be pushed into.
    It just seems weird and unnatural to me.
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 3:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• if you can do it great! me? give me a csection and drugs!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ShanAtoZ,

Keep in mind: we mammals are also not meant to birth in hospitals and have many intrusions into our private birthing experience...
    So while underwater delivering might not be how God designed us, many women do what they can to calm-soothe-cope through the pains of labor without adding unnecessary risks to their babies or themselves.

Water seems to do a lot for us!
    :-D

And I can talk about your questions about fluids and meconium, as they aren't really a problem, but are you truly interested in learning about this?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011