Do you eat seasonally?

I have started doing this and I noticed how much better the food tastes when it is in season instead of forced ripening. My daughter wanted strawberries the other day, but I showed her how hard they were and mostly green and white. I reminded her how good the berries tasted last summer when we bought them from the Farmer's Market. She decided to get grapefruit instead and we really enjoyed the sweetness of the Texas Rio Stars we bought!

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 2:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, mainly because of the price of out-of-season stuff. But it's also why I freeze/can a lot of stuff - I pick 100+ lbs of strawberries from a u-pick place every year and make into low-sugar jam & freeze whole berries, same with blueberries DH's aunt picks in Michigan for us, and other in-season fruits, and I can or freeze a lot of veggies from my garden - so I always have "out of season" stuff in my freezer or pantry year-round - so yummy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes unless I'm pregnant. I get wild cravings for watermelon and dh, bless his heart will buy me watermelon out of season even though it costs much more. He's so sweet!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes but sometimes i just need blackberries
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 3:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Definitely. I love fresh produce, and not only does it taste better, but it's more affordable in season.

I live in Southern California though, so we have tons of fresh produce in season year round. I am also eating delicious fresh grapefruit right now, and can hardly wait for the strawberries to come into season in March.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I really try to! It's easier for me than most, because I live in California, though. I try to take it a step further and eat local as much as I can as well.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have a family friend who grows asparagus. WONDERFUL in season..not so great from the grocers in mid winter.
    mommyIam08

Answer by mommyIam08 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I do eat seasonally and it does taste a lot better than forcing it
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes, because the out of season fruits and veggies are really expensive and not very good.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011