How should a mother react to her six year old boy, secretly throwing his vegetables away from his dinner plate, after he was just told to that he needs to eat his veggies?

My son absolutely dislikes vegetables. He will sit at the dinner table and be in tears every time he's got veggies on his plate. The rule is, both kids have to eat their veggies when it's on their plate.

He wasn't meaning for me to catch him throwing part of his salad away, slowly into the garbage. When I confronted him about it, he said that the lettuce just fell in the bag.

lil-mama-vegas

Asked by lil-mama-vegas at 3:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Keep giving him veggies. Make a deal? Eat your veggies and you can have a [insert something he really loves to eat]. I would confront about the sneaking and lying.
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 3:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I did the same and let me tell you if you make him eat the veggies will get worst my dad used to make me eat I was no allowed to leave the table until I had ate everything and that only lead to be hours at the table and also a lot of tears and hate of veggies, my mom in the other hand just said fine don't eat you can go but then when I was hungry I could not find anything else to eat I would eat the whole thing no questions ask, my mom said recently told me she will hide all the food so I had to eat what was there also she had another tricks like instead of chips and popcorn while watching a movie at home she will make shred raw carrots and beets with lime and a little bit of salt, later she used chili powder ( i love it) another way she will invite my friends who she knew were good eaters so to avoid been embarrassed I will eat just like they did.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 4:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• give him his plate, dont react to him not eating and take it away when he is done, even if he leaves the veggies. Dont make any treats available to him. Let him pick out what he does llike and expand from there. Take him to the Farmer's Market. My husband was raised where he was forced to eat vegetables and he rebeled big time. I am vegetarian, lol and I told him he would learn to like veggies! Shopping at the FM is divine because the veggies do taste different when they are allowed to ripen naturally. My hubby now eats green beans, eggplant, broccoli, peas, corn, carrots, bell pepper, salad and much more. Try talking to him and see what he does like, maybe start a little garden and let him attend to it, he will take pride in what he grows and will want to find new ways to enjoy it. Let him go online to recipe sites and see how the chefs prepare vegs in new ways, good luck! Just dont make it a power struggle!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• also, do some research into what different veggies do for the body, I have done this since my twins were small, I used to sing to them as I fed them and would make up songs about what they were eating and what it did for them. Now my 5yr old son loves to sing about how much he loves katchup because it is maked from tomatoes that have lycopene and that fights the cancer!Maybe if he was made aware why the veggies are good for him instead of just that they are good for him, he would make more of an effort
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Only comment I have is that mealtime was a battle in our house that we now regret. Our youngest was a picky eater and DH used to force the issue and it made for some really sad mealtimes. It would have been so much easier and nicer to just offer a variety of foods and if he ate, fine. If not he would wait until the next meal. Remember that family meals are a time for bonding and together time. Not a time that kids fear.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The rule when I was growing up was if you don't eat your dinner, your dinner is put in the fridge and while everyone else is having ice cream or some other dessert, you can eat the rest of your diiner if you are hungary. I would have fixed him another plate of veggies and not let him leave th table until he ate all of them.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I try to just offer veggies but I do not force them to eat anything they don't like. Just because something is tasty to you, doesn't mean it is to your son. I am fortunate because my kids love fruit and veggies. However, there are a few that my son doesn't like (potatoes or broccoli) it's not a big deal. I just make sure he eats some of another for that day. Offer variety and try not to force.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The bigger issue here is the lying and deceit. You need to deal with that first.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:10 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My son did that once. I filled his plate right back up.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• eating

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011