How bad is diet pop compared to regular

MIL just gives pop to SS and when I shook my head at SS he said, "Oh, it's okay, she said so." When I complained about the sugar her response was, "Oh, it's only diet." I said okay because I knew she'd think I was a b**** otherwise if I said anymore, but sheesh, he's five. He thinks "diet" automatically means something is good for you. (I don't know what she's told him for him to think this.) Pop is still pop right? Anyone else know how bad diet is compared to regular pop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Diet contains artificial sweeteners that are not very good for the body. Diet sodas can also contain caffiene. I know I don't want my little girl to have caffiene. :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! Carbonation negatively effects bone density. And to growing children, that is so important.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• that and diet also has more chemicals for flavor - any thing diet is HORRIBLE for the human body - aside from the sodas, foods are the same - the chemicals in all diet foods actually bloat fat cells - tricks your body to wanting more - horrible stuff

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 1:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it's not just that!! Nutrasweet has been shown to cause seizures in children!! DO NOT let her give him any more...I didnt let my DD drink any pop until she was 7 and even now I monitor it.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Try Koolaid or Juice instead. I would not let my child drink diet soda. Regular is bad enough. None of it is good for a child that young. Follow your instincts. They are usually right.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 3:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Diet soda is just as bad for the teeth as regular soda. It's not the sugar that decays the teeth it's the acids. Read the labels on the cans. I've been a dental professional for 20 years and I have seen what diet soda does to the teeth.

The obsession with diet foods comes from the fact that as a nation we're fat. When I was growing up in the 60's we didn't have all the fast food joints like we do today. Teach your child the difference between healthy foods and foods labeled "diet"

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't correct his mother but I wouldn't supply it in your house either. Don't have it available for him to drink. Don't take him grocery shopping if you know he has ideas about what he should have in his body. Avoid the fuss that way. Do have the items you think a child should have in their bodies. Also be a good role model by just naturally eating and drinking the foods that you want him to have. Children learn from what they see, if you don't practice what you preach it will never sink in. He's 5 so he has a lot of time to watch how you and his dad have a healthy lifestyle. Kids will also learn their are different "rules" at mom's house from dad's house. Stick to what you know is best - you don't have to argue if it isn't there. When out let his dad be "the bad guy" so you are not evil step mommy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ok first thing id be saying that you are not okay with the child having the pop either way, who cares if its diet. Secondly diet contains the artificial sweeteners which are not good for adults, let alone kids. Thirdly, to anyone else interested in knowing also, diet pepsi is the WORST diet pop out there. If you read the label there is an ingredient, not sure of how to spell it so ill just tell you it is in red lettering, it is harmful to all of us, its in red so you are aware, i learned this in a health class btw for all you skeptics. I would not drink it, and definately not give it to my child.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Both types of soda are bad but diet is definitely worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Carbination does NOT affect bone density but soda is just empty calories anyhow. And if its diet its more chemicals. The study that was done concerning young girls and soda consumption is that they are drinking it in place of drinking milk (which has calcium) soo its adversely affecting their bones because they are lacking in calcium not due to anything contained in pop. You can look this up to whoever does not believe it. Anyway, I dont think little kids should have it but its not going to kill him to have it once in a while with grandma. Kind of like getting candy from grandma. It should be a "treat" & not expected every day. I dont even buy soda pop for our home. If they get any its else where.
    Anonymous