Fruits and Veggies

My son is semi picky eater...how do you get your child to eat his or hers fruits and veggies????

MeganCrosley

Asked by MeganCrosley at 6:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • I make her eat them before i give her the main course. If she wants to eat her pasta, she must eat her broccoli first. This has always worked really well for me. Now, she eats them on her own, i do not have to tell her to. She is 9 now.

I also leave fruit out & available for picking. When i know she needs a snack, I'll cut up some strawberries, squirt a lil honey on them if they are sour & just ask her to eat them. I hand her lots of fruit during the day & she is very likely to eat it if i just hand it to her.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The rule in my house is every food I make must be tried at least 5 different times. They have to have a tasting portion, about 1 tablespoon amount. I will make it 5 - 6 times in a month and they have to try it each time. Eventually they will like it. Don't forget that as kids age their tastebuds change. So what they don't like at age 3 they might like at age 6 or even by age 10. Keep them open to trying new things. Make it a game.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i typically give them the ones i know they like, or sneak the other ones in meals like casseroles.

you can make fruits & veggies fun by including dips with the veggies such as hummus, ranch, etc and yogurt to dip the fruit in. or even let him pick out what looks tasty at the produce section.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't have a problem getting my kids to eat them, but they eat way more than they need to if I make smoothies - frozen berries, bananas, peaches, all kinds of fruits, plus spinach & carrots - my kids' favorite is a rainbow smoothie, named for having every color of the rainbow - strawberries, peaches, pineapple, mango, kiwi, blueberries, spinach, carrots, avocado and/or banana (makes it creamy), and some Welch's 100% grape juice to make it blendable.

Also chop veggies up super-fine and add to meatloaf, make your own spaghetti sauce & load it with veggies (mine is less than half tomatoes, and loaded with a variety of peppers, onions, eggplant, squash [usually the soft summer squash, yellow & zucchini], spinach, carrots, and anything else that looks/sounds good - I blend it so it's not chunky & veggies are "hidden"). I don' tlike to "hide" stuff though, they know it's in there, and they love all fruits & veggies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I make fruit breads and fruit muffins and you can puree veggies and hide it in pretty much any dish or sauce, meatloaf works very well for hiding veggies and so does pasta sauce
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I sneak them into my sons food and drinks lol like if I make any kinds of meat like meatloaf I cut the veggies up real small and blend it into the meat then I cook it the same with fruit I make it into a puree or juice
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Veggies are not hard to get into my kids as long as they have a dip to go with them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know, my kids always loved both. sorry
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011