36 weeks and starting labor

I'm 36 wks preg and starting labor. What are the chances of my sons lungs being fully developed and me being able to bring him home right after birth? I was told that boys lungs develop a little slower that girls. Also i have GD and i think that that can affect the development of the lungs. Has anyone else been through this?

malleymom106

Asked by malleymom106 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have, but I delivered at 35 weeks to a girl......she had no lungs, and had to stay in the NICU for two weeks......They'll pump you full of steriods to help the lungs along.....Good luck!!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had my daughter at 361/2 weeks and she was fine. She weighed 6lbs 1oz and as healthy as can be. Ive been told that anything after 35 weeks is usually ok. Ask your dr and just stay positive! Congrats!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It all depends on the baby. They'll examine him afterwards and let you know. I've known someone give birth at 34 weeks and the baby went home a few days later because its lungs were fine. Someone in my Dec 09 group had their baby at 39 weeks and their lungs weren't developed enough! (rare but I guess it can happen) Just take it easy and concentrate on bringing this LO into the world. Good luck mama and congrats!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had my daughter at 37 weeks and had GD - she was much healthier than my oldest born at 41 weeks. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i delieved at 36 and half weeks with my youngest. she had to have oxygen for only about an hour just to make sure she could breathe ok, but after that she was ok. she came home with me when i did. like others have said after 35 weeks you should be ok. just take it real easy. good luck and congrats!
    teastin14

Answer by teastin14 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I delivered both of my daughters at 36 weeks each. They were both a little over 6 pounds and they went home the next day, no problems at all. My friend delivered her son at 35 weeks and she had high BP and GD and he his lungs were fine and he got to go home a few days later.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 10:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• you can't really say,untill he is born. his lungs can be or can't fully developed. relax,keep praying and see what happenes. you will find out soon. good luck.
    crouse3

Answer by crouse3 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011