Is it inappropriate if I take money out of my account which has my son's Xmas money and use it to take my son out for his birthday to dinner?

My hubby told me to do that since funds are low.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• ot at all mom, sometimes we have to improvise, just make sure you will replace it before the holidays.

Answer by older at 7:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have had to do this and I paid it back. If you can pay him back then do what you need to. Just try not to take to much. His birthday is important but do not go too far. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Bad idea. If you can't afford to go out to eat, then have a special dinner at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I've done it too. It's better than not taking him out to dinner.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree with these ladies. My sister had to do this alot, her husband got paid once a month (he was salary pay) and if she was a little short paying bills or what not, she would take a little out of her sons savings to cover checks and things, then put it back when her husband got paid. I see nothing wrong with it, especially when money is tight.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• This is inappropriate. You should celebrate his birthday in a way that you can afford. If you do not have the funds to go out to dinner than do not go. Who else is going to eat off of this money? It is important that you live within your means. It is a way to teach your children the proper use and budgeting of your finances.
    There are many ways to celebrate and could be more meaningful be creative.
    Give him a gift and a party that you can afford.
    How old is your son. Too often going out is more for the others than for child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• This is a definite indication that you are living above your finances. You are probably in debt. Get your spending under control. Do not do what you cannot afford to do. You are on a collision course. Your family are going to be the victims. What other things do you buy or do that you cannot afford to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011